Peach Shortbread Bars
Peach Shortbread Bars combine a lovely shortbread texture with peaches, cinnamon, lemon and a delectable lemony powdered sugar icing. The result takes them from superb to sensational!!! These luscious dessert bars are decadence extraordinaire! This recipe is also quite easy to make and certainly an excellent way to use up ripe peaches.
Once our six peach trees starting bearing their fruit this summer, I started making peach desserts 24-7! Really, it seemed like I was making at least one or two peach desserts every day for a couple of weeks. After that I no longer had time to bake up the rest because we were in full packing mode and have since sold that house south of the Dallas Metroplex and are in the process of building a new home. We hope it will be ready soon after the turn of the new year, but as things go, it may be February before we’re ready to move in.
I baked Peach Shortbread Bars back in early July (and froze them), then my husband took them with him when he traveled last week to give to friends….but not before I sampled one,…or two. (Gulp). Yes, they were exquisite and so mouthwatering they were hard to put down. I started with this recipe, and added peaches and cinnamon which added phenomenal taste but preserved the lovely shortbread texture.
For those of you who love fresh peach desserts, I highly recommend Peach Shortbread Bars. Their lemony, cinnamon, peachy taste is one you will have difficulty saying no to. Be warned! Peach Shortbread Bars are addictive.
Peach Shortbread Bars are sensational!
Shortbread bars combined with peaches makes a scrumptious treat indeed!
The lemony cinnamon icing on Peach Shortbread Bars makes these goodies so delectable.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients to make the bar.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Mix ingredients with an electric mixer to combine. Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add peaches.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine.
Grease a 10×15″ glass baking dish. Spread and press mixture into the prepared dish.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bars completely.
I used these ingredients to make the icing.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and cinnamon.
Add powdered sugar and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Spread icing over top and sprinkle with lemon zest. Cut into bars. (I refrigerated the bars a couple of hours before cutting).
You’ll love the texture of Peach Shortbread Bars.
Peach Shortbread Bars are great for summer holiday fun, tailgating parties or anytime you want a luscious peach-filled treat.
Here’s the recipe.
PEACH SHORTBREAD BARS
(Recipe inspired from my English Lemon Shortbread Strips)
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.landolakes.com/” target=”_blank”]Land O’ Lakes[/url] unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup [url href=”http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/realemon/” target=”_blank”]ReaLemon[/url] lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 ½ cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 2 cups diced, peeled peaches[br]
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and lemon zest with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour and peaches and stir with a wooden spoon until very well combined.
- Mixture will be dry.
- Spray a 10×15” jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Press shortbread mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. [br]
- Combine all ingredients except lemon zest with electric mixer until well mixed.
- Spread over cooled shortbread.
- Garnish with fresh lemon zest.
- Allow icing to set about 30 minutes before cutting into strips.
If you’re looking for ways to use up ripe peaches, this is a great one.
I love icing on blondies, and this one makes Peach Shortbread Bars delectable.