Mexican Street Corn Salad
Gluten Free Living – 2023
Mexican Street Corn Salad is just absolutely awesome. No exaggeration! This delicious Corn Salad includes Mexican Crema (a Mexican version of sour cream), Cotija Cheese, cilantro, limes, and a tiny bit of chili powder to give it some zip. It is absolutely delightful since the fresh corn is grilled beforehand. While you can serve this salad warm, I preferred to serve and eat it, cold.
I made this fantastic recipe for a company dinner in early July. I served it with Grilled Ribs and Chicken Thighs, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Church Jello and Almond Fudge Shortbread. It was so good and so well-received by our guests, that I made it a second time for a Ladies’ Luncheon I hosted about a week later. The combination of lime, corn, cilantro and other flavors make this a fantastic side dish for cookouts and potlucks.
If you’ve ever tried Mexican Street Corn, you’ll love this version made up like a salad. Seriously, I can’t praise this delightful salad enough, it’s THAT GOOD!
Mexican Street Corn Salad is wonderful. It starts with grilled, corn-on-the-cob.
The limes really bring out wonderful flavor in this salad.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. I did not like the consistency of this mayonnaise so I swapped out Hellmann’s mayo with olive oil instead.
Grill shucked corn over high heat, turning corn every two or three minutes until completely cooked (but NOT tough).
Cut the corn off the cob.
Transfer the cut corn into a mixing bowl.
Chop cilantro; finely dice the garlic.
Add cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise, Mexican Crema and Cotija cheese.
Add chili powder and salt.
Squeeze lime juice from limes over top of salad.
Stir ingredients well to combine.
Spread salad mixture onto a serving platter or serve in a bowl. Sprinkle with additional Cotija cheese.
Serve with your favorite entree.
The lime juice blends perfectly with the corn.
Here’s the recipe.
MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD
(Recipe adapted from Eat Well 101)
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 gas or charcoal grill
- 1 sharp knife to cut grilled corn off cob
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 sharp knife to dice cilantro and garlic
- 6 ears corn-on-the-cob grilled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Hellmann's with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup Mexican Crema (or use sour cream if you can't locate this)
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese crumbled or grated
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 small limes juice only
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (start with 1/4 tsp. and add more if desired)
- Preheat gas grill to high heat.
- Place shucked corn on grill and cook about two to three minutes on each side, turning occasionally, until the corn chars but is not overcooked and tough.
- Allow corn to cool.
- Cut off the kernels with a sharp knife.
- Transfer grilled corn to a mixing bowl.
- Add Mexican crema or sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, Cojita cheese and cilantro.
- Start with about ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Check seasonings.
- Add an additional ¼ tsp. salt if necessary (but the cheese has quite a bit of salt).
- Transfer corn to a large serving platter or serving bowl.
- Garnish with additional Cotija cheese, cilantro and lime slices.
- Can serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Eat Well 101.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
The corn is slightly sweet, then add the pungency from the limes, a little spice from chili powder and you have the perfect combination of flavors for this scrumptious salad.
Mexican Street Corn Salad was so delicious, I served it twice for company! Everyone raved over it.