Blueberry Almond Blondies
Blueberry Almond Blondies are one of my favorite Blondies recipes. Besides blueberries, they include bananas, almonds, almond extract, and vanilla chips. They’re made with browned butter in the batter as well as the icing. A sprinkling of almonds and vanilla chips on top of the icing finishes them off nicely. This dessert is super rich, decadent and completely drool-worthy.
I offered to bring a couple of meals to a friend back in June, after she had foot surgery. The first meal included Ravioli Lasagna, Rapid Rise Italian Herb Bread, Pineapple Chiffon Salad, this blueberry dessert and some Pineapple Macadamia Muffins for breakfast the next day. The second meal included a Slow Cooker Beef Stew, my Easy No-Knead Dinner Rolls, Church Jello and Almond Fudge Shortbread.
They enjoyed the meals and it gave me a chance to be in the kitchen a little bit more. I don’t cook as much as I used to when our children were at home. I’m older now and have gotten a little lazy. 🙁 I usually cook in spurts or “binge-cook” if you will. I may make 5 or 10 recipes in a week (or more) or none at all! Those weeks we grill, eat salads or go out to eat. But I still enjoy cooking and baking for others.
I have used this basic recipe so many times and in so many ways. It comes out wonderfully every time. If you enjoy blueberries, you’ll love them in this delectable dessert. My only recommendation for this recipe is to refrigerate it several hours or overnight before cutting. It sets up a little better that way. Enjoy.
Blueberry Almond Blondies are so rich and decadent.
The vanilla chips add a lot of sweetness to the dessert.
Blueberries make them fruity and delicious.
Almonds and Almond Extract bump up the flavors even more. Yum.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the blondies.
Place butter in a saucepan over low to medium heat.
Bring to a boil and stir constantly until butter browns. This will take between 5-10 minutes.
Transfer browned butter to a large mixing bowl.
Add browned sugar.
Beat with an electric mixer until ingredients are incorporated. Set aside. Allow mixture to cool 5 minutes.
Mash bananas on a plate with a fork.
Once mixture has cooled sufficiently, add mashed bananas, eggs, salt and almond extract. (You don’t want to scramble the eggs!)
Mix with an electric mixer until the mixture is completely smooth and the bananas are no longer in lumps.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. (Bleached flour toughens baked goods). Add blueberries, vanilla chips and diced almonds.
Sttir ingredients to combine.
Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread blueberries mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow blondies to cool completely before adding icing.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Melt butter in small skillet over low to medium heat.
Here, the butter is melted.
Add brown sugar and half-and-half.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Bring mixture to a boil; remove from heat.
Add almond extract. Cool mixture 5 minutes before adding powdered sugar.
Add powdered sugar.
Whisk ingredients for 3 to 5 minutes until no lumps remain.
Spread icing over top of cooled blondies.
Sprinkle sliced almonds over top.
Add Vanilla Chips and pat almonds and vanilla chips into the icing very gently with fingertips.
Refrigerate a few hours or overnight before cutting into bars and serving.
Blueberry Almond Blondies are drool-worthy!
Seriously, you’ll be swooning over every bite.
Indulge yourself with a batch of this lovely dessert.
Blueberry Almond Blondies are great for tailgating parties and backyard barbecues.
Here’s the recipe.
BLUEBERRY ALMOND BLONDIES
(My own concoction)
Blueberry Almond Blondies
- 1 9×13" glass baking dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 2 wooden spoons
- 2 small sauce pans
- 1 whisk
- 1 nut chopper to dice almonds
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 spatula
- 2 cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup salted butter melted and browned (2 sticks)
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas mashed with a fork
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries washed and patted dry
- 1 cup vanilla chips or premier white baking chips
- 1 cup diced almonds (I diced up sliced almonds)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sliced almonds for topping
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vanilla chips or premiere white baking chips, for topping
- To brown the butter: Place butter in saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
- This may take five or ten minutes.
- Once butter has browned, place browned butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar and mix thoroughly with an electric mixer.
- Allow mixture to cool about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bananas on a plate and mash with a fork; set aside.
- If the mixture still has not cooled sufficiently, wait a few more minutes before adding eggs, almond extract, mashed bananas and salt.
- (So the egg doesn’t scramble!).
- Mix again with electric mixer until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in flour, blueberries, vanilla chips and almonds.
- Stir mixture until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow blondies to cool completely before icing with Almond icing.
- Melt butter over medium heat in medium-sized saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and half-and-half and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add almond extract.
- Cool icing 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- This may take three to five minutes to get all the lumps out.
- Spread over cooled blondies.
- Sprinkle top of icing with almonds and then vanilla chips as evenly as possible.
- Press vanilla chips and sliced almonds very lightly and gently into the icing to adhere.
- Store refrigerated.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Blueberry Almond Blondies are so irresistible.
Be forewarned! These cookies are addictive. You’re gonna want more than one!
If you take Blueberry Almond Blondies to a party, they’ll be the first ones gobbled up by everyone!
Blueberry Almond Blondies are divine. This dessert will rock your world!