Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars
Teresa’s Bake Shop – Christmas Cookie Extravaganza – 2012
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars are a delicious, decadent version of the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake recipes that have been available for the past thirty years or so. There’s lots of powdered sugar, blueberries, and cream cheese in a delicious homemade crust that’s oh, so, delectable! If you’re looking for a great holiday dessert this sweet dessert bar is amazing.
I found this recipe last summer at 1840 Farm and finally got around to making this spectacular recipe. While the original version of Ooey Gooey Butter Cake uses a boxed cake mix, this recipe doesn’t. While this version has blueberries, I think you could use chocolate chips, M&Ms, Red Velvet, cinnamon or butterscotch chips, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, or peaches on top and have successful results with each one.
The toppings would provide a slightly different taste, but the basic cream cheese and powdered sugar mixture in the dessert bar would still have its incredibly gooey texture.
I’ve made a few changes to the recipe that I think help improve the appearance and texture of this recipe. I added a little more butter to the crust so it is not so dry and doesn’t turn out of the pan so crumbly. I also sprinkled the top of the cake with powdered sugar which dresses the dessert bar up a little.
I increased the amount of blueberries to add a little more punch. If you decide to change the topping ingredients to one of the others mentioned above, then add at least one cup of topping not the 1/2 cup from the original recipe to get a richer, fuller flavor.
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars is an amazing recipe–one I think you and your family are really going to enjoy. It’s fairly easy to put together. You can have this amazing dessert bar ready to go into the oven in about 15 minutes. Yet the results are extraordinary. Why don’t you consider making this wonderful dessert bar for your holiday baking this season?
When I initially published this recipe in December 2012 it was for my Christmas Cookie Extravaganza. Most of my cookies were too busy with props, plus I was using an iPhone so the pictures weren’t as clear as I would have liked.
I recently remade this recipe (July 2016) for friends after one came home from eye surgery. I served these jewels with Chicken Chalupa, a “Cracked Out” Sweet Cornbread, and Carrots in Creamy Vegan Dill Sauce. They loved all these goodies and enjoyed them for several days. I refrigerated my gooey bars before cutting so they weren’t quite as gooey as normal. So be prepared if you don’t refrigerate them slightly, they will be extra gooey. 🙂
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars are elegant and delectable dessert bars.
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars are fancy enough to take along to holiday parties, or to make any time of the year for guests and company.
This is the most decadent cake-like dessert bar you will every eat. The flavors in this recipe are amazing.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add sugar, baking powder, sea salt and melted butter and stir all the ingredients together.
Add egg and milk.
Combine all ingredients. Because this mixture was on the dry side, I’ve increased the butter in the crust so it will be easier to combine and so the crust ingredients will stay together better without becoming crumbly.
Press the crust into a 9×13″ glass baking dish that has been well-sprayed with cooking spray. Set crust aside.
In another mixing bowl, soften cream cheese. Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice.
Add powdered sugar.
Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer until well blended.
Spread cream cheese mixture over top of the crust.
Wash blueberries. Remove any stems and pat blueberries dry with towel. Place blueberries evenly over cream cheese mixture.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. The middle will not be completely firm.
Cool Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars completely. Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
I refrigerated the bars to make for easier cutting.
Each Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bar is moist and delicious and has incredibly rich flavor.
Your guests will love these wonderful treats. Take a plate of these along to holiday parties and you will be cleaned out quickly. Everyone will take one look at these festive dessert bars and grab one immediately!
Here’s the recipe.
BLUEBERRY GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
(Recipe adapted from 1840farm.com)
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make the crust by combining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add 1 stick melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the egg and milk and stir to fully incorporate.
- The mixture should be crumbly and evenly moistened.
- Evenly press the crust mixture into a greased or sprayed13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Press down well so the ingredients adhere together well.
- Set aside while the topping is prepared.
- To prepare the topping, combine softened cream cheese, ¼ cup melted butter, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and powdered sugar and mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour topping over the prepared crust and spread to completely cover the crust.
- Wash and pat dry the blueberries.
- Remove any stems not removed during packaging.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the top of the filling.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes.
- The cake is done when the topping develops a light brown color.
- The topping should not be completely set in the middle as it will firm up as the cake cools.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars.
Don’t Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars look amazing?
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake Bars are festive and delightful for any special occasion.
There are lots of blueberries tucked into each piece. Yum.