M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars
Teresa’s Bake Shop – Christmas Cookie Extravaganza – 2014
M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars are luscious and outstanding cookies. They have the ooey-gooey deliciousness of the ooey gooey butter cake recipe. But with the addition of M&M’s, they are absolutely a chocolaty delight. I refrigerated these cookies before cutting them so you can’t see just how gooey they really are. After they warm up to room temperature they get gooey again! They are a wonderful holiday treat especially if you enjoy M&M’s!
I have several gooey butter cake bar recipes like Red Velvet, Blueberry, and Peaches ‘n Cream. I also have Carrot Cake, Funfetti, Chocolate Chip, Peppermint, Strawberry and Lemon. One of my all-time favorites is Cherry Almond. Each one is sensational. The filling just seems to ooze out of the brownies so they are incredibly good.
Be warned, these are hard to stay out of. They are just such marvelous cookies. One of the things I like about this recipe is that these brownies are made from scratch without using a cake mix. They still have the rich, decadent taste you expect with a a gooey butter cake bar. The process takes just a little bit longer to make, but the taste is supreme!
Last week we celebrated a Christmas lunch with all John’s staff. I like to bring their Christmas presents to them at this party. I also wanted to give them some additional cookies, even though they already received some from our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza.
I had a LOT of M&M’s left over from our holiday baking this year. I decided to make up a couple of goodies with M&M’s. M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars and M&M Funfetti Cookies were two of those cookies. I’ve already received a lot of good feedback about how much they enjoyed these jewels. It’s really hard to go wrong with a gooey butter cake recipe! It’s doubly hard to get it wrong when you’re baking with M&M’s!!! 🙂
This is a sensational cookie to make for Christmas day, New Year’s Day or Valentine’s Day. But it’s also superb for tailgating parties or any other activity you need a dessert for. I can’t recommend M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars highly enough. They are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars are sensational.
Each one of these brownies is so ooey, gooey and delicious. You will be hard pressed to stop at just one!
You will be so drooling over M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
To make crust: Place UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add sugar, baking powder, salt, and melted butter.
Add egg and milk.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Grease or spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish. Press crust mixture into prepared dish.
Make filling: Place softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
Add powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Pour cheesecake filling over top of crust layer.
Sprinkle with M&M’s.
Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Cool bars completely. You may want to refrigerate them a couple of hours before cutting.
M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars are so luscious you will have a hard time sharing them with others!
These treats are terrific for summer holiday fun like Memorial Day, Fourth of July or Labor Day.
Here’s the recipe.
M&M Gooey Butter Cake Bars
(Recipe inspired from my Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick [url href=”http://www.landolakes.com/” target=”_blank” title=”land o lakes butter”]Land O’ Lakes[/url] unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk[br]
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup [url href=”http://www.landolakes.com/” target=”_blank” title=”land o lakes unsalted butter”]Land O’ Lakes[/url] unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon [url href=”http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Pure-Vanilla-Extract” target=”_blank” title=”pure vanilla extract”]McCormick[/url] pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/realemon/” target=”_blank” title=”realemon lemon juice”]ReaLemon[/url] lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 12.6-oz. bag (about1 ½ cups) milk chocolate [url href=”http://www.mms.com/” target=”_blank” title=”m&m candies”]M&M’s[/url]
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. [br]
- Combining flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add 1 stick melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the egg and milk and stir to fully incorporate.
- The mixture should be crumbly and evenly moistened.
- Evenly press the crust mixture into a greased 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Pat down well so the ingredients adhere together well.
- Set aside while the topping is prepared. [br]
- Combine softened cream cheese, ¼ cup melted butter, 2 eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and 3 cups powdered sugar.
- Mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour topping over the prepared crust and spread to completely cover the crust.
- Sprinkle the M&M’s over the top of the filling.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Cut into bars.
If you enjoy M&M candies, you’ll LOVE these lovely brownies.
If you’re a chocolate lover, you’ll go crazy over this outrageous dessert.
Droll, baby, drool! 🙂