Veggie Breakfast Burritos are a wonderful breakfast option. Are you looking for a healthier option for Breakfast Burritos? Perhaps you don’t care for sausage, bacon or ham in your burritos. Then here’s an option for you. These veggie burritos are made with four different colors of bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes, along with cheese and scrambled eggs.
Veggie Breakfast Burritos could just as easily include zucchini, yellow squash, sprouts, finely diced carrots, avocado and fresh spinach. They are really a great option for those with gardens trying to use up fresh produce. Truly the sky is the limit to what you could include in these tasty burritos.
I loved the taste of Veggie Breakfast Burritos when we made them a couple of weeks ago for our Ladies’ Conference at church. I volunteered to make breakfast for what turned out to be about 90 gals, and Shelby Etter, a friend from our Sunday school class, volunteered to help me make up all these burritos along with Sausage, Potato and Veggie Breakfast Burritos and Potato Breakfast Burritos and a few other varieties I will post next week.
The only seasoning Veggie Breakfast Burritos had was the salt and pepper, and they turned out quite tasty. But if you like more seasoning you can certainly add it when scrambling the eggs or you can add more heat by using Habanero Cheese or some other hot Mexican cheese.
If you’re looking for a tasty burrito recipe without meat, give Veggie Breakfast Burritos a try. Mix and match your veggies and you will find a great tasting burrito that’s healthy, lower calorie, and enjoyable to the tastebuds! The really nice thing about breakfast burritos is you can prepare them in advance, refrigerate or freeze them, and then reheat them in the microwave (about 30 seconds for refrigerated) and you can have a quick breakfast on the go.
For those with hectic and rushed schedules in the morning this is a great recipe to make Sunday afternoons and then just pull a few out and heat up quickly before you’re ready to head out for the office. On the other hand, they make a great meal for dinner, too!
Veggie Breakfast Burritos are a healthy treat for breakfast.
Serve Veggie Breakfast Burritos with salsa, fruit and oatmeal for a nourishing and healthy breakfast. I stuffed Veggie Breakfast Burritos with mushrooms, 4 colors of bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, cheese and scrambled eggs.
These Breakfast Burritos turned out quite tasty.
Here’s what I did.
These are the veggies I used for this recipe. I was making these in bulk, but obviously you won’t use this amount for just a family breakfast.
Saute your veggies. You can use just about any kind of veggie you want to use. Here I’m sauteeing green, red, orange and yellow bell peppers.
In this skillet I sauteed the diced tomatoes.
Then I sauteed the onions.
Finally, I sauteed the sliced mushrooms. But I was preparing in bulk. You can also saute all the veggies together if you’re only making small amounts, because the veggies have to be mixed anyway.
Scramble your eggs. Be sure to season with salt and pepper. You can also sprinkle with parsley, cilantro, chives and thyme to provide a little more flavor to your burritos.
Here the scrambled eggs are finished.
Place scrambled eggs and sauteed veggies in a bowl.
Add cheese and combine.
Place tortillas with damp paper towels on top and bottom in microwave. Microwave on high about 20 seconds to get tortillas hot and moist. This will help the tortillas to roll properly without tearing. Stack veggie mixture in the center of your tortilla. Leave a one to one-and-a-half inch border at both ends.
I only have pictures of rolling up the sausage burritos but you can get an idea from these pictures as to how to roll the tortilla. Roll the bottom up to the middle of the tortilla.
Now fold one side over to the middle. Roll tortilla over carefully tucking in the food so none falls out of the shell.
Here the tortilla is rolled over.
Now tuck the loose ends into the center of the burrito. Wrap in paper towels or waxed paper that’s been sprayed with cooking spray (to prevent the tortilla from sticking to the waxed paper). Heat in the microwave on high about 30 seconds for each burrito.
This one is cut in half so you can see the contents of the burritos.
Here’s a close up. I really enjoyed the taste of Veggie Breakfast Burritos. Remember my measurements and ingredients are a guide. You can add more of this and less of that as your family prefers.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGGIE BREAKFAST BURRITOS
(Recipe adapted from Shelby Etter, Ovilla Road Baptist Church, Ovilla, TX)
- ½ cup diced red, orange, yellow and green bell peppers, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and sliced mushrooms, sautéed in butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/3 cups scrambled eggs
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- salt and pepper
- Sauté about 2 tbsp. sliced mushrooms, 1 tbsp. onions, 1 tbsp. diced tomatoes, 1 tbsp. red bell pepper, 1 tbsp. orange bell pepper, 1 tbsp. green bell pepper and 1 tbsp. yellow bell pepper in a tablespoon or two of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook about 5 minutes or so until veggies are tender.
- Place cooked veggies in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, scramble about 3 large eggs.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper while scrambling.
- (You can also use additional seasonings like parsley, chives, cilantro or thyme).
- Add cheese and scrambled eggs to mixing bowl.
- Microwave tortillas for about 30 seconds until hot and moist.
- Place about 1/3 cup of mixture down the center of a warm tortilla leaving a one-inch border at top and bottom of tortilla.
- Fold bottom of tortilla up toward center and hold in place with one hand.
- Fold one side over to the middle of the tortilla and then roll tortilla over.
- Tuck in the remaining loose ends into the tortilla.
- Microwave in paper towels or in waxed paper that’s been sprayed with cooking spray for about 30 seconds.
- Serve hot with salsa.
Don’t Veggie Breakfast Burritos look marvelous?
Each bite was mouthwatering. Veggie Breakfast Burritos are a great way to use up garden produce. These can be eaten for Meatless Mondays, too!