Peaches ‘n Cream Pie is a real treat. This custard pie is made with heavy whipping cream, eggs, sugar and lots of peaches and tastes sensational. Who doesn’t love homemade pie with Homemade Pie Crust? And a homemade peach pie to boot! Peaches’ n Cream Pie is addictive and a pie you will want to make over and over.
When we had peaches coming off our trees in bushels in early July I decided to make up a few different peach pies out of them. Peaches ‘n Cream Pie was one of the ways I chose to use up some of our peaches. This pie turned out fantastic. I loved the thickness of the custard as well as the delicious taste.
Allow me to provide a few tips before baking a Peaches ‘n Cream Pie. Mom always baked her pies at 300 degrees so the pies cooked more slowly but the fruit would cook all the way through. Most of the time the pies take almost two hours to bake, sometimes even three hours. This one took about two hours before it was completely set in the middle. I cook the pies until the juices bubble up thickly so that when you cut into the pies they’re not soupy. Most of the time if you cook a pie in an hour or less, it won’t be cooked all the way through and once you cut into it, the pie is syrupy and hasn’t thickened properly. That’s not the way I learned to bake pies and I don’t like eating pies that way either.
I normally tent the pies with foil after about 45 minutes into the baking time so the crust doesn’t brown. I’m not a fan of browned crusts, which happens easily if you cook pies at a really high temperature which many of the newer recipes suggest. I also recommend that you don’t put the peaches into the pastry shell until you’re ready to pour the custard filling on top and pop the pie into the oven. Otherwise, you will end up with a soggy crust.
If you want a delicious peach pie recipe then I highly recommend Peaches ‘n Cream Pie. The lovely custard filling is to die for. If you enjoy peaches you and your family will love this peach pie recipe. And, if you need a Homemade Pie Crust recipe, feel free to check out our family’s recipe. It can’t be beat! And prepare to be amazed. 🙂
Peaches ‘n Cream Pie is so completely satisfying! I cook the pie longer so that it sets up properly and is not soupy on the inside.
The flavors and texture of this glorious pie were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Once you take a bite of Peaches ‘n Cream Pie you won’t want to stop!
Here’s what I did.
These are the ingredients I used for the pie filling.
Mix sugar and flour together; place in a small saucepan. Add cream. Cook until mixture simmers.
The mixture will thicken when it comes to a simmer.
Mix with eggs an electric beater until light yellow in color. This will take approximately one minute.
Remove hot cream mixture from heat. Spoon out a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture.
Add a couple of tablespoons of the hot cream mixture to the whipped eggs and stir to combine.
Add the eggs into the hot cream mixture and stir to combine.
Place mixture back on the stove. Cook over low-medium heat about 5-10 minutes until custard thickens.
Roll out a single pastry pie shell and place in pie plate. Flute edges.
Place sliced peaches in prepared pie shell.
Pour custard mixture over top of peaches.
Bake at 300 for about 2 hours or until totally set in the middle. Tent pie with foil after about 45 minutes so pie crust doesn’t brown too much.
You and your family will rave over Peaches ‘n Cream Pie.
Here’s the recipe.
PEACHES ‘N CREAM PIE
(Recipe adapted from a magazine, circa early 1980s)
- 5 cups peeled, sliced peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 unbaked [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/12/05/homemade-pie-crust/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade pie crust”]deep-dish 10-inch pie shell[/url]
- Peel and slice peaches.
- Set aside.
- Mix sugar and flour together and place in medium-sized saucepan; place over low to medium heat and add cream.
- Cook until mixture simmers.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high until light yellow in color.
- This will take about a minute.
- Stir a few tablespoons of hot cream mixture into the eggs.
- Then stir entire egg mixture into the hot cream sauce and place back on burner.
- Cook over low-medium heat until custard thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
- Place pie dough in plate and flute edges.
- Once custard is ready add peaches to the pie crust.
- Then spread the custard mixture evenly over the peaches.
- Bake at 300° about 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours or until custard is set, pie is lightly browned and peaches are cooked.
I bake Peaches ‘n Cream Pie really slowly so the peaches cook all the way through and the pie isn’t syrupy in the middle when you cut into it.
Time for a bite.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!