Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Gluten Free Living – 2014
Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup is mind-boggling in taste and deliciousness. I actually start this soup using leftovers from either my Roasted Chicken with Rosemary or Rosemary-Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans. But I’ve included directions for you to make this from scratch in your crockpot if you don’t wish to use leftovers from either of those recipes. I’ve made it many times with varying vegetables and the taste is just awesome.
I like to serve Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup with homemade bread or cornbread. I made Molasses Cornbread to go along with it when I made this a couple of weeks ago. It’s a great dunker in soups, although this soup is so hearty and filling you probably don’t need bread as a side. The garlic-rosemary-parsley butter is normally part of the the original chicken recipes so I added it to the soup in order to provide the full effect in the event that you just want to make the soup and not start out with the Roast Chicken dinner recipe first. It increases the flavor of the soup tremendously.
If’ you’re looking for a fabulous Chicken Soup recipe, then check out Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup some time. If you have a lot of cooked veggies from the chicken dinner, add them to the crockpot about a half hour before the rest of the meal is done so they don’t get over-cooked. You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken in this recipe. You can also add other leftover cooked veggies if you have them on hand. You will love the taste of this soup. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Plus, you can throw everything into the crockpot which is a a real time saver.
Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup can be made from leftover Rosemary-Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans or Roasted Chicken with Rosemary. But if you don’t have leftovers from either of those dishes, I’ve got directions for making this completely from scratch.
The lovely flavors of garlic, parsley and rosemary permeate this awesome soup.
Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup is one of the tastiest comfort foods you’ll ever eat.
Here’s what I did.
In addition to the leftovers from my Rosemary-Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans I used these ingredients along with fresh corn on the cob.
Chop up veggies.
Pour chicken broth into crockpot. Add potatoes, carrots and celery. If you don’t have pre-cooked sweet potatoes, onions, or green beans, add them now as well. If you are not using leftover roast chicken from the aforementioned recipe, melt butter. Add parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add that mixture to the crockpot now. Cook on high heat for 3 hours or until veggies are fork tender.
Once veggies are fork tender, add cut up cooked chicken, and any pre-cooked veggies (I added the sweet potatoes and green beans now).
Add fresh corn from the cob.
I added a little water. Cover with lid and heat through – about a half hour or so.
Here the soup is ready.
To serve: garnish soup with fresh parsley.
Prepare yourself for a very hearty and filling soup.
Here’s the recipe.
HERB ROASTED CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, cut up into bite-sized pieces, or leftovers from [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/06/23/roasted-chicken-with-rosemary/” target=”_blank” title=”roasted chicken with rosemary”]Roasted Chicken with Rosemary[/url], cut up into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. petite red potatoes, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ to 2 qts. chicken broth
- 1 very large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 lb. green beans, tips removed, halved
- 2 ears corn-on-the-cobs, kernels removed
- 2 heaping tablespoons minced garlic from a jar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 heaping tablespoons parsley
- 2 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- water, if necessary, to thin soup
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Debone chicken and refrigerate meat until ready to use.
- Pour chicken broth into crock pot.
- Add red potatoes, celery, onions, carrots, sweet potato and green beans.
- Combine butter, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add to mixture in crockpot.
- Cook on high 3 hours or until veggies are fork tender.
- Add chicken and corn and stir to combine.
- Heat an additional 30 minutes until hot.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup is a great recipe for cool winter nights. It’s healthy, low calorie, and gluten free.
Have a side of Molasses Cornbread while you’re at it. It’s wonderful.