Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese is one of the cheesiest, most delicious Macaroni and Cheese recipes on the planet! Oh my, it uses THREE kinds of cheese, half-and-half or heavy whipping cream, REAL butter, eggs, and get this, Penzey’s Cajun Seasoning! What? You say. Cajun Seasoning? Really? Are you kidding? Nope. The Cajun seasoning is what gives this casserole it’s wonderful flavor. You don’t have to gob it on, but a generous sprinkle provides exceptionally good taste.
A couple of weeks ago we had a chili night at a friend’s house. We had several families from our Sunday school class over, each bringing side dishes, appetizers or desserts. I made a chili but I also signed up to bring a Mac and Cheese casserole because I didn’t think any of the kids would eat chili. I combed through the Pinterest archives and found this recipe. I decided to give it a chance and see how it would turn out. Even some of the kids with very picky palates loved this Mac and cheese recipe!
Almost everyone loves our traditional American favorite–Macaroni and Cheese. There are thousands of ways to make it. I sheepishly admit I love the stuff out of the Kraft box. But I do try to come up with healthier options these days. One of these days I’ll make a gluten free, clean eating option, but because I was making this for kids I thought it would be best to make it as traditionally close to what they’re used to tasting as possible.
This recipe uses a lot of dairy, so if you’re dairy intolerant you need to find another recipe. If you’re looking for a low-calorie Mac and cheese recipe, you also need to look elsewhere. You can’t use shortcuts in this recipe or you change the texture and the taste. But if you’re looking for something a little different, Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese rocks!
Don’t be afraid to sprinkle the Cajun seasoning on the casserole. Unless you DUMP the spice container on the macaroni noodles, you’ll be fine. A nice generous sprinkling on each noodle layer amps up the flavor without being overpowering. Hey, it passed the kid test with us, so I think you will enjoy Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese as well.
This recipe makes a lot – enough for two 9×13″ casserole dishes. It’s great to take to a potluck or when you’re cooking for a crowd. But if you’re only cooking for your family you may want to halve the recipe. Or you can freeze one casserole dish for later. If you’re looking for a tasty Meatless Monday dish, Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese packs a powerful punch. I think your family will love it!
Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese is awesome!
Every forkful will have your mouth watering.
Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese is kid-friendly! Even with Cajun seasoning sprinkled over top!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Bring macaroni to a boil and cook according to package directions.
Meanwhile make sauce: cook Velveeta cubes and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Be careful not to scorch the cheese by cooking at too high of a heat.
Drain noodles. Set aside. (If you’re not ready to use the noodles right away, you may want to mix with a little butter or oil to prevent sticking).
Here the sauce has melted and it’s nice and smooth.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Scoop a ladle full of the cheese sauce and drizzle it SLOWLY into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
Combine the cheese sauce and eggs with a whisk until smooth.
Pour tempered egg mixture back into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
Spray baking dishes with cooking spray. I used a 10×15″ baking dish and two smaller dishes, but two 9×13″ baking dishes work well, too. Add half of the drained macaroni noodles and divide between the two dishes. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and Penzey’s Cajun seasoning.
Cut up one stick of butter and divide it between the two casserole dishes.
Divide half of the Monterey Jack cheese and the cheddar cheese between the two baking dishes.
Ladle half of the Velveeta cheese sauce and spread over both of the dishes.
Repeat layers. Divide the remaining macaroni between the two dishes. Sprinkle both dishes generously with salt, pepper and Penzey’s Cajun seasoning. Divide the remaining stick of butter and place small pieces over top of both casserole dishes.
Sprinkle remaining Monterey Jack, cheddar and Velveeta cheese mixtures evenly over both casseroles.
Cover casseroles with foil and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. Loosen and tent foil and continue baking an additional 15 minutes or so, or until casseroles are hot and bubbly.
Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese makes enough to serve a crowd. It’s great for potlucks and family reunions.
You can also freeze a casserole for later if you don’t want to eat all of the Mac and cheese at once. Or, simply halve the recipe.
Here’s the recipe.
SOUTHERN-STYLE MACARONI AND CHEESE
(Recipe adapted from Deep South Dish)
- 36-oz. Skinner’s large cut elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 2 lbs. sharp cheddar cheese (or one pound cheddar and one pound Monterey Jack), shredded
- 2 lbs. original [url href=”http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products/velveeta-hub.aspx” target=”_blank” title=”velveeta cheese”]Velveeta[/url] cheese, cubed
- 2 cups half-and-half or heavy whipping cream (not 2% milk)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Kosher salt, pepper and [url href=”https://www.penzeys.com/” target=”_blank” title=”penzey’s seasonings”]Penzey’s Cajun seasoning[/url], to taste
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (not margarine)
- minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring macaroni to a boil and cook according to package directions.
- While macaroni is cooking place cream and Velveeta cheese cubes in a large saucepan over low heat and melt.
- You may have to use a potato masher to get the cheese to melt down easily.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with a whisk.
- When Velveeta sauce melts, scoop a ladle full of the cheese sauce and drizzle it into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add SLOWLY so eggs don’t curdle.
- Whisk until all the cheese sauce has been incorporated into the eggs.
- Pour the egg/cheese mixture back into the Velveeta mixture and stir to combine.
- Spray a 10×15” glass baking dish with cooking spray (or use two 9×13″ glass baking dishes).
- Place half of the macaroni in the bottom of prepared dish.
- Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
- Cut one of the sticks of butter into very thin slices and spread over top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar/Monterey Jack cheeses over top of the noodles.
- Pour half of the Velveeta cheese sauce over top of cheeses.
- Cover cheese sauce with remaining macaroni.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
- Spread thinly sliced butter pieces over top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses over top.
- Ladle the remaining Velveeta mixture over top of all.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes.
- Tent foil.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired
Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese is a great main dish for Meatless Mondays!
Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese is filled with three cheeses. It’s one of the cheesiest Mac and cheese dishes I’ve ever eaten.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $67.99Was: $79.99
Price: $49.99Was: $51.07