Have I got a delicious supper dish for you today! Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta is one of the tastiest pasta dishes I’ve eaten in some time. Along with the chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms, this recipe has leeks and garlic to provide extra texture and taste. It’s seasoned with basil, a little paprika on the chicken, and red pepper flakes which causes it to burst with savory flavor. I used tri-color penne pasta to give it a little more color and it has a simple sauce made with mozzarella cheese and half-and-half to glue it all together! Ummmmmmmm.
My husband loves pasta dishes, so every now and then we break out of our healthy mode and go on a pasta tear, which I’ve been on for the past couple of weeks. Pasta is marvelous, yet most pasta dishes are a good bit higher in calories than simple “meat and potatoes” or in our case, “meat and salad” entrees. Even still, it’s nice to get our “pasta fix” every now and then. Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta sure answers the call.
This dish can easily be modified and made gluten free if you substitute gluten free penne pasta. I recommend purchasing pasta made with brown rice flour rather than corn if you make that modification. Corn pasta is awful. It’s sticky, gummy, and has a horrible taste in my opinion. Corn is so good in other things, I’m not sure why it doesn’t work in pasta.
Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta is great for family dinners or company, and is certainly kid-friendly–even with the crushed red pepper flakes. It provides a very slight kick that’s not overwhelming but increases the flavor. I’ve added a few things and changed a few things from the original recipe, but I believe you’ll enjoy the additions. Give this tasty pasta entree a try soon and you’ll put this awesome dish on your regular dinner rotation. No kidding.
Every bite of Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta is amazingly good.
Garnish Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta with extra mozzarella cheese and parsley if desired.
The savory flavors of mushrooms, leeks, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes make Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta first rate!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms, snipped sun-dried tomatoes, sliced leeks and garlic.
Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and veggies are softened somewhat. Remove veggies from pan to a plate and set aside.
Add a couple more tablespoons of olive oil to the same skillet. Sprinkle paprika on both sides of the chicken for color and flavor. Add chicken pieces to skillet and saute a few minutes on each side until done.
Add veggies back into the dish. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in half-and-half.
Add mozzarella cheese. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain but reserve the broth. Add cooked pasta to the mixture in the skillet.
Add basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and about 1 cup (or more if needed) reserved pasta water to cream and season the sauce ingredients. Stir well to combine.
Serve as soon as you reach the desired consistency.
Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta is so savory and delicious, you’ll be wanting seconds!
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN SUN-DRIED TOMATO AND MUSHROOM PASTA
(Recipe adapted from Julia’s Album)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut down into small cubes
- 1 cup [url href=”http://bellasunluci.com/” target=”_blank” title=”bella sun luci”]Bella Sun Luci[/url] sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 8-oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
- about 4 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ – ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- paprika (sprinkled over both sides of the chicken)
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 12-oz. box [url href=”http://www.barilla.com/” target=”_blank” title=”barilla pasta”]Barilla[/url] tri-color penne, cooked and drained
- pasta water left over from cooking pasta
- Boil penne until al dente.
- When draining, reserve pasta water.
- Run cool water over noodles to prevent further cooking.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, then leeks, garlic, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cook a few minutes over medium to high heat until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove ingredients to a plate.
- Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil to the skillet. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and paprika.
- Cut meat into cubes.
- Sauté meat in hot olive oil for a few minutes on each side until done.
- Add sun-dried tomato mixture back into skillet with cooked chicken.
- Then add half-and-half and mozzarella cheese.
- Stir and combine.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese completely melts.
- Stir in penne pasta, basil, red pepper flakes.
- Check seasonings.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ½ to 1 cup of reserved pasta water (or more if needed) and stir into the pasta mixture to help thin the sauce and make it creamier.
We loved Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta and believe you will too.
If you’re looking for a terrific pasta dish to serve company, this one is fantastic.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $93.20Was: $120.00
Price: $5.99Was: $7.19