Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos are the last Breakfast Burrito recipe I’m rolling out! These tasty burritos are made with sausage, a batch of my seasoned Fried Potatoes, scrambled eggs and cheese then rolled in hot tortillas and served with salsa. They are an excellent choice for a quick breakfast because you can make these up in advance and then just microwave one or two on your way out the door to work or school. They also freeze well.
One of the requests for the Ladies’ Conference breakfast I was catering for our church several weeks ago was for “protein” for breakfast, and not merely sweets. I had a table full of sweet coffee cakes, breakfast cobblers and muffins, a table laden with fresh fruit trays, and a table full of protein including, Pigs In a Blanket, Sausage Cheese Drops, Sausage Cheese Balls, and lots of assorted Breakfast Burritos. Three of the burritos were vegetarian and two had sausage in some combination.
I had never made breakfast burritos before so I was really glad to take Shelby Etter, a gal from our Sunday school class at church, up on her offer to help me make these. We had a blast in the kitchen making these burritos even if all my skillets were horribly messed up by the scrambled eggs! It did take several minutes scouring each one to put my skillets back in working order! We made up about 160 burritos in all, though we were minus a few because I had to sample each one. 🙂
I will tell you that this recipe is really a lot easier if you fry up your sausage and potatoes ahead of time. You can even refrigerate the sausage and potatoes a few days until you get around to making this recipe. Then after you scramble your eggs, you can add the sausage, potatoes and cheese, stir to combine, and then stuff the mixture into the tortillas. We like this recipe served with salsa, and there are so many kinds out on the market these days including pineapple-mango salsas that are fabulous that you can get creative and serve Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos with your choice.
If you’re looking for a tasty breakfast burrito recipe that your family is sure to love then you’ve found one! The nice thing about this recipe is you can actually use the eggs, sausage, potatoes and cheese in the amounts you desire. Place in a bowl and if you want more cheese, add more cheese. If you really like spicy hot breakfast burritos then use a hot pork sausage and a habanero cheese blend and a hot salsa for dipping. The sky is the limit with this simple recipe. You really don’t have to be extra meticulous with the amounts of the ingredients, although you really do need to season the Fried Potatoes with all of the seasonings I suggest or you will get a blander burrito. But for that matter, feel free to add more seasonings if you prefer, especially if you grow your own herbs. Regardless of how you make them, Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos will be a big hit with your family, just as they were at the Ladies’ Conference.
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos are tasty and delicious!
This view shows the inside ingredients of the burrito. The cheese has melted into the sausage, potatoes and egg.
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos are a terrific recipe to make up in bulk and then just pull one or two out of the fridge and microwave them for about 25-30 seconds each before heading out to work!
Here’s what I did.
Fry sausage and drain. (You won’t need ten pounds!)
Make up a condensed batch of my Fried Potatoes. (You won’t need 8-10 pounds of potatoes!)
Bring a skillet to medium heat and melt a couple of tablespoonfuls of butter. Lightly beat 4 or 5 large eggs in a bowl. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Scramble and cook eggs until done. At this point, you can stir in cooked sausage, potatoes and cheese and combine. Or you can transfer the eggs to a mixing bowl with the sausage, cheese, and potatoes. Stir to combine.
Place dampened paper towels on top and bottom of the stack of tortillas. Microwave on high about 20 seconds. This will prevent the tortillas from tearing when you roll them up. Place about one-third to one-half cup sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla. Leave a one to one-and-a-half inch border at top and bottom (as pictured).
Fold the bottom of the tortilla toward the center.
Now fold the left flap over to the center.
Roll the tortilla over carefully so the filling doesn’t fall out.
Tuck the flaps inside the tortilla.
Heat burritos in microwave about 25 seconds each wrapped in either paper towels or waxed paper that’s been sprayed with cooking spray.
Serve Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos with salsa.
Here’s the recipe.
SAUSAGE AND POTATO BREAKFAST BURRITOS
(Recipe adapted from Shelby Etter, Ovilla Road Baptist Church, Ovilla, TX)
- 1 cup mild bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 cup seasoned [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/08/11/fried-potatoes/” target=”_blank” title=”fried potatoes”]Fried Potatoes[/url]
- 1 1/3 cups scrambled eggs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10-12 flour tortillas
- Fry sausage in skillet and drain.
- Set aside.
- Peel and dice one extra large or two small to medium potatoes.
- In skillet over medium heat add a tablespoon or two of butter.
- Add potatoes.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, dill weed, paprika, parsley and chives.
- Meanwhile, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes or until fork tender, turning the potatoes over with a spatula every 5 minutes to prevent sticking.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet over low to medium heat, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- Lightly beat four or five large eggs in a bowl.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Scramble eggs until done.
- Add sausage, potatoes and cheese and combine mixture in skillet or in bowl.
- Place two dampened paper towels on top and bottom of the tortillas and microwave about 20 seconds over high heat.
- Remove from microwave.
- Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup sausage mixture down the center of hot tortillas leaving a one to one-and-a-half inch border at the top and bottom of the tortilla.
- Fold the bottom of the tortilla toward the center.
- Fold the left side over top of the folded bottom toward center of tortilla.
- Roll tortilla over carefully so all the filling is covered.
- Tuck the loose ends into the center of the tortilla.
- Microwave each tortilla in paper towels or waxed paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking for about 25-30 seconds on high.
- Remove from microwave and serve hot with salsa.
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos are hearty, filling and satisfying.
Don’t Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burritos look marvelous?
Ah yes, I think it’s time for a bite of these scrumptious burritos right now!