Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos
Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos make one terrific breakfast. I really enjoyed this hearty and filling vegetarian burrito when we served them at our Ladies’ Conference breakfast a few weeks ago. This one is filled with seasoned Fried Potatoes (my own special recipe), cheese and scrambled eggs. It also includes sauteed peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. They are rolled in hot tortillas. Then the burritos are microwaved for about 20 seconds each and voila! You get a really wonderful Breakfast Burrito that’s tasty and satisfying but without meat.
While I sauteed up everything individually because I was making large portions of this recipe, it would probably be easier if you sauteed the potatoes and then added the veggies the last 5 minutes or so of cooking time. After scrambling up your eggs you can mix them with the potatoes, veggies and add cheese.
The nice thing about this recipe is you can actually make it up in the proportions you like. While I will provide a guide, you may find you have an abundance of garden veggies you need to use up so you can use them instead of the ones I suggest. Or you may find it easier to saute all the veggies and have everything ready to go except the eggs. Plus, you can even make these up in bulk and freeze them. Then pull them out and microwave them as desired.
One of the nice things about Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos is you can also use them on Meatless Mondays for a main dish. Two or three of these will fill up the hungriest appetites! Add some fresh fruit or a side salad and you’re good to go. These are obviously also great for country breakfasts too. If you want to keep your breakfast vegetarian, then serve Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos with fresh fruit, oatmeal or granola, or one of my delicious Breakfast Cobblers! Another nice thing about these burritos is that you can refrigerate them or freeze them and then just heat the burritos up quickly in the microwave for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.
This recipe was given to me by Shelby Etter, a gal in our Sunday school class, who volunteered to help me make these for our church’s Ladies’ Conference. We made five different kinds of Breakfast Burritos including Potato, Veggie, and Sausage, Potato and Veggie. All turned out wonderfully. But the Veggie and the Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos have a different spin in that they are healthier options for those who prefer meatless burritos.
This is a tasty and appetizing meatless burrito recipe that’s hearty, filling, and truly satisfying comfort food. I suggest you make up a batch of Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos for weekend, company or even holiday breakfasts. You can easily add squash, beans, corn, or any other kind of veggie you prefer.
For those who are trying to stay away from gluten, then consider making the burritos up in corn tortillas or gluten free tortillas which are made from rice flour and available at health food stores and Whole Foods Markets. Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos pack a powerful punch without excess calorie from meat. Each mouthful is so marvelous, it will leave you wanting more!
Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos are hearty and satisfying.
While I used 4 different colors of bell peppers, along with onions, mushrooms and tomatoes, you can add almost any kind of veggie to this recipe.
This close up shows the texture of Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos. We loved the cheesy goodness of these burritos!
Here’s what I did.
These are the veggies I used in this recipe. But for one batch of this recipe, you will only need about 1 heaping tablespoon of each of these!
You will need a cup of my Fried Potatoes that are seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, paprika, dill weed, parsley and chives. The seasonings on the potatoes greatly enhance the flavors of these burritos.
Saute the bell peppers. You will not have to saute all the veggies in different skillets. I had to do that because of the bulk of what we were doing.
Saute the tomatoes. You will need to saute the tomatoes unless you want soggy burritos!
Saute the onions.
Saute the mushrooms. After all the veggies and cooked, I combined them in one large bowl. Then I added the potatoes.
Place a little butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add 3 or 4 beaten eggs. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs.
Combine Fried Potatoes, sauteed veggies, and scrambled eggs in a bowl.
Add the cheese.
Place about 1/2 cup of the mixture on a tortilla.
Before placing your filling on the tortilla you need to microwave the tortillas between damp paper towels about 20 seconds on high. This gets the tortillas hot so you can roll the mixture without the tortillas tearing apart.
Place veggie and potato mixture down the center of your tortilla leaving a 1 1/2 inch border at the top and the bottom. Now fold the left flap over to the middle of the tortilla.
Roll the tortilla over gently.
Tuck the loose ends into the center of the tortilla to keep the filling from falling out.
Wrap burritos in paper towels or waxed paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray and microwave about 25 seconds on high. Serve Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos with salsa.
These burritos turned out really tasty. Serve Veggie and Potato Breakfast Burritos with salsa and a side of fruit for a tasty meatless breakfast that’s healthier than many options.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGGIE AND POTATO BREAKFAST BURRITOS
(Recipe adapted from Shelby Etter, Ovilla Road Baptist Church)
- 1 cup seasoned Fried Potatoes
- ½ cup sautéed veggies: onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, red, green, yellow and orange bell peppers
- 1 1/3 cups scrambled eggs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10-12 tortillas
- Sauté potatoes in butter with garlic salt, pepper, chives, parsley, dill weed and paprika in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cover with a lid and turn with a spatula about every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender—about 20-30 minutes.
- Place mixture in large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, sauté veggies in a couple of tablespoons of butter until tender over medium heat – about 5 minutes.
- Add veggies to large mixing bowl.
- In another skillet, add butter and melt over low to medium heat.
- Add about 3 or 4 beaten eggs.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Scramble eggs until done.
- Remove from heat and add eggs to the mixing bowl with cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Warm tortillas between damp paper towels in microwave about 20 seconds.
- Place about one-third cup of scrambled egg mixture down the center of each tortilla leaving a one to one-and-a-half inch border at the top and bottom of the tortilla.
- Fold the bottom up to the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the left flap over to the center of the tortilla.
- Carefully, roll tortilla over to cover all the stuffing.
- Tuck the loose ends into the tortilla to keep all the filling ingredients inside the burrito.
- Roll in paper towels or waxed paper that’s been sprayed with cooking spray and microwave on high about 25-30 seconds for each burrito.
- Serve with salsa.
If you’re looking for a hearty, but meatless recipe, this one is great.
While I’ve tried to provide a basic guide for measurements, you can increase or decrease the amounts or include things you like more in your burritos.
Grab a plate and let’s eat!