Keto Dinner Rolls
Gluten Free Living – 2022
Well I tried my first keto recipe a couple of months ago. Keto Dinner Rolls. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure how these would turn out or if we would like them or not. I, and all of our company, were very pleasantly surprised. While they have a different texture and taste than regular dinner rolls, they were delightful.
We invited two couples from our church over for dinner in January. One of the guys is a diabetic and has to be really careful with his diet. In addition to no sweets he can have no potatoes, no rice (which is hard on his wife because she’s Asian and loves rice), and no bread. I told them I’d come up with a meal plan that he could eat without any problems.
We grilled chicken and asparagus. I made Roasted Tomatoes and these Keto Dinner Rolls. One of the couples brought a luscious fruit salad, and the other couple made poached pears with a granola filling that was Keto-friendly. It was a terrific meal.
Let me suggest a few things when making these Keto Dinner Rolls:
- The hardest part is mixing the ingredients when you add the almond flour. Shaping that mixture into balls/rolls is a gooey mess. Just be warned.
- I ended up mixing the ingredients with my hands (as you would when mixing meatloaf). I couldn’t get it to stir together otherwise. Mine never did form a nice soft ball.
- Use almond flour, not almond meal. There’s a difference in texture and results.
- Bake these rolls just before serving. They really must be eaten hot! I’m not sure what happens after they get cold, but they just don’t taste the same. They’re still okay, just nowhere near as good as they are hot out of the oven.
- I would also shape the balls of dough larger. Don’t try to get 8 rolls out of this concoction. The rolls will be fairly small that way. Five or six rolls is more realistic.
- I added the baking powder from the original recipe to see if they would raise more. I’m not sure if it really affected the rolls, one way or another.
We had a few of these rolls left over afterwards and I served them with Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs. These dinner rolls are really great with anything you serve them with. Just remember to reheat the rolls if you want to eat leftovers! Enjoy.
Keto Dinner Rolls turned out a lot better than we expected.
You can see the mozzarella cheese oozing out of them. Yum!
Here’s a little look at the rolls so you can see the texture.
I recommend serving Keto Dinner Rolls hot! If they get cold, warm them up again! I also served them with Chicken Thighs with Garlic Parmesan Sauce.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. The baking powder is optional.
Place cream cheese and mozzarella cheese into a mixing bowl.
Slowly soften and melt the cheese in a microwave.
Stir and mash together with a spoon. This was harder than it looks. Allow mixture to cool before adding eggs (so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs!)
Place one egg in a mixing bowl and whisk. Set aside for egg wash.
To cheese mixture: add two eggs, almond flour and baking powder (if using).
Stir mixture to combine. (This is also harder than it looks). I ended up mixing the ingredients together with my hands like you would for meatloaf. Mine never did form a nice, soft dough.
Form mixture into balls and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. (I would change the amounts to about five or six rolls, otherwise they’re a little on the small side.
Brush the egg wash over top of each roll.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, until tops are browned and rolls are set.
Be sure to serve Keto Dinner Rolls hot!
Spread with butter! These turned out wonderfully rewarmed with Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs.
While Keto Dinner Rolls have a completely different texture than regular dinner rolls, you’ll find them very tasty. They’re a great alternative for diabetics, Celiacs, or those on special diets.
Here’s the recipe.
KETO DINNER ROLLS
(Recipe from The Big Man’s World)
Keto Dinner Rolls are a great option to replace gluten in dinner roll recipes too.
These cheesy dinner rolls are a great alternative to regular dinner rolls. They’re marvelous with chili, soups or even for breakfast!
Keto Dinner Rolls are a really great option for company and holiday dinners too. Just bake right before serving.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
Italian Herb Dinner Rolls