Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup
Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup is awesome in my opinion. I found this recipe on All Recipes and really enjoyed it. I made it with Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix to save on excess chemicals from the store-bought packets. But if it’s easier for you to purchase a packet rather than make it from scratch, then so be it. This one includes bacon and a whole bulb of roasted garlic which really amps up the flavors. And, most of all, it includes Cheddar cheese which makes it even richer.
I hosted a Ladies’ Luncheon from our church back in July. There were about 14 of us. I made a Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup, this Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup, a Mexican Street Corn Salad, a batch of my Easy No Knead Dinner Rolls and an Oreo Eclair Dessert. Everyone else brought assorted salads. We had a great time and everyone enjoyed all the different buffet selections of food!
I loved, loved, loved the way this soup turned out! It was smooth and creamy and packed with delicious flavor. Some of the potatoes in the recipe are mashed but others left whole so you have a great texture. Everyone knows that bacon makes everything better! Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, potatoes, roasted garlic and Ranch Dressing Mix. How can you go wrong??? It really was a terrific recipe and everyone loved it.
Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup is a wonderful, soothing, comfort food recipe that’s marvelous this time of year during cool, weather days. Add some homemade rolls and it’s even better! This Potato Soup recipe is hearty, filling and completely satisfying. I can’t recommend it highly enough.
Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup is awesome, in my opinion.
We loved this savory and scrumptious Potato Soup recipe.
Every bite will have you salivating!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
If you want to make your own Ranch Dressing Mix, I have the link to the recipe below. Otherwise, purchase a packet.
Stir ingredients together and set aside.
Cut bacon into one-inch slices
Fry in a large Dutch oven or stock pot until crispy but not scorched!
Transfer cooked bacon pieces to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Add celery and onion to bacon grease in Dutch oven.
Stir to combine and cook over low to medium heat until tender–about 5-10 minutes.
While celery and onion are frying, cut up potatoes and set aside.
Add potatoes and chicken broth to Dutch oven or stock pot.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender..
Meanwhile, roast a whole bulb of garlic about 30 minutes in a toaster oven or regular oven. (Cut off the top before doing this, and if desired, add a few drops of olive oil while roasting).
Remove the garlic from skins and set aside.
Add the garlic to the potato mixture.
Mash about one-third of the potatoes only.
Combine Ranch Dressing Mix, flour, salt, pepper, sour cream and half-and half. Whisk ingredients to combine.
Add Ranch Dressing Mix mixture to potato mixture in Dutch oven.
Add sharp Cheddar Cheese and slowly stir into mixture. Heat over low heat. DO NOT BOIL!
Continue stirring until cheese melts completely.
Season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh chives and bacon, as desired.
Garnish individual bowls of Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup with diced green onions, bacon pieces, Cheddar cheese and/or chives.
This soup is really hearty and filling.
Here’s the recipe.
HEARTY RANCH AND BACON POTATO SOUP
(Recipe adapted from All Recipes)
Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup
- 1 large Dutch oven with lid or stock pot with lid
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
- 1 cutting board
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 roaster oven or toaster oven to roast the garlic
- 12 oz. pkg. bacon cut in one-inch pieces
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 5 pounds small red potatoes washed and quartered or cubed
- 4 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 head garlic roasted
- 1 oz. pkg. dry ranch dressing mix (or homemade ranch dressing mix–see below)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground black pepper as desired
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- Place the bacon in a large roasting pan or Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- If you have an excessive amount of grease, drain the grease leaving a few tablespoons remaining.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Cook and stir the white onions and celery in the bacon drippings until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, and bring to a boil over heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- This will take about 20-30 minutes depending on heat.
- Mash about one-third of the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add pieces of roasted garlic sliced lengthwise.
- Reduce heat to low. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper, and dry ranch mix.
- Whisk in the half-and-half and sour cream, beating well to combine thoroughly.
- Slowly whisk sour cream mixture into the soup.
- Add cheese.
- Gently heat soup over low heat to warm, DO NOT BOIL!
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Top with green onions, cheese and bacon before serving.
NOTE: You can locate my easy Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix recipe here.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
This hearty soup recipe is delightful comfort food for lunches or cool weather days.
The flavors and texture of Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup were fantastic.
Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup is so good, you’ll find your family wants this recipe put on your regular monthly menu rotation!