Sweet Potato Fries are one of my favorite ways to make sweet potatoes. I make up a batch of this recipe all the time.I have my wonderful daughter-in-law, Candice, to thank for this super easy, healthy, and delicious recipe. Only 3 ingredients–sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and olive oil! Hey, I can manage that!
The hardest part about this recipe is cutting the sweet potatoes in slices. Be careful that the knife doesn’t slip and you end up slicing your fingers! As I said earlier, it is really healthy, and so very tasty. You get a lot of fiber, too. It’s not high in calories and it’s a great way to eat clean.
I’m not sure where Candice found this recipe — whether on the Food Network, allrecipes.com or perhaps some website for healthy fitness and eating. But since she gave me the recipe she gets credit for it. If you’re looking for a healthy side dish to add to any meal then consider this super-easy and tasty recipe. Sweet Potato Fries are both gluten free and vegan for health-conscious eaters.
I originally posted this recipe in August of 2012. I’ve remade this recipe several times during the past year and a half, but I decided to update the pictures so you can have a better representation of what this side dish looks like.
Sweet Potato Fries are a wonderful side dish.
I also eat Sweet Potato Fries for breakfast!
I prefer sprinkling the cinnamon over top of the potatoes after they bake because the cinnamon has a tendency to scorch and blacken when it bakes in the oven.
Here’s what I did.
Peel potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
Place your first layer of potatoes in a glass baking dish that’s been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Brush the potatoes with olive oil.
This shows how I slice down the potatoes.
I’ve added a second layer of sweet potatoes and brushed them with olive oil again.
This is the third layer of sweet potatoes. I added another coat of olive oil. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about an hour.
Here are the potatoes just out of the oven.
Here I’ve sprinkled cinnamon generously over top of the potatoes.
Here’s another look at this delicious dish.
Here’s a serving of Sweet Potato Fries.
Here’s the recipe.
SWEET POTATO FRIES
(Recipe adapted from my daughter-in-law, Candice, Oxford, PA)
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Peel potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice each potato into 5 or 6 slices lengthwise.
- Slice each individual slice again in 5 or 6 slices.
- Slice each individual piece again in half or thirds to make French fries.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13” baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place one layer of sweet potato fries in pan.
- Brush with olive oil (start with about ¼ cup).
- Repeat layers twice, brush with olive oil again.
- Bake at 450° about 30 minutes or at 350° about 45-60 minutes or until done.
- Sprinkle heavily with cinnamon. Serves 6-8.[br]
- [b]NOTE: [/b]I prefer sprinkling this dish with cinnamon after baking rather than before, because the cinnamon has a tendency to scorch and blacken.
I absolutely love this tasty side dish and make it all the time.
Each large potato provides approximately two servings. Healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan!