Teresa’s Bake Shop – Christmas Cookie Extravaganza – 2012
Black Forest Cookies are heavenly. I have to admit when I saw the name of this cookie I was intrigued. I’ve had Black Forest cake and cupcakes and Black Forest desserts before. I’ve heard of Black Forest pies and cheesecakes. Ah! But now, Black Forest Cookies! Yum. I love chocolate, and I love cherries – put them together in a cookie and voila! Marvelous!
This is a super easy cookie to put together and in no time you have a delicious cookie ready to take to holiday parties, potlucks, or wherever you need a quick and easy dessert. Black Forest Cookies would also be an excellent dessert for Valentine’s Day as it is so festive with its red cherries. After all, who doesn’t love chocolate and cherries? Throw in a few pecans and you have a wonderful treat your whole family will enjoy.
This recipe is inspired from Ocean Spray Cranberries and well worth a try. While this recipe calls for dried cherries, when I make them for next holiday season, I’m going to use candied cherries instead and see how well they turn out. I think this recipe would also work with regular maraschino cherries.
If you’re looking or a delicious cookie recipe with a taste that reminds you of Black Forest Cake, give Black Forest Cookies a try. They’re easy, scrumptious and a great dessert for the Christmas holidays, Valentine’s Day or special occasions like baby showers and anniversaries.
When I initially posted this recipe in December 2012, I was still using an iPhone 3 for a camera. The pictures were less than satisfying, plus I had too many decorations in the background so that the cookies actually took a back seat to the props.
I’ve been remaking all those first year blog recipes and this one came up for remake this month (January 2016). I like to keep our freezer stocked with cookies so my husband can hand them out as gifts frequently. Our recipients always love these cookies. If you enjoy chocolate and cherries, I highly recommend giving these amazing cookies a try.
Black Forest Cookies are luscious, scrumptious, amazing!
This stack shows the delicious chocolate chips, pecans, and dried cherries in each cookie.
Black Forest Cookies were well received at the places we distributed them this year! Everyone who tastes one of these jewels will surely want more!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Melt part of the chocolate chips. I added some butter to make the process easier.
Once chocolate is melted, remove from heat and set aside.
Soften butter. Add eggs, brown sugar, baking powder and vanilla.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Stir chocolate mixture into other ingredients until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens cookies and any baked good or noodles. Add chocolate chips, dried cherries and pecans.
Mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon. If you use an electric mixer to stir the final ingredients it toughens baked goods.
Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray. Scoop cookie dough with a cookie scoop and place on sprayed sheets.
Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or until done.
You can tell that some of the chocolate chips melt slightly while baking giving the cookie a luscious, scrumptious taste.
Every bite of Black Forest Cookies will have you drooling.
Your kids and family will love these tasty treats.
Here’s the recipe.
BLACK FOREST COOKIES
(Recipe inspired from Ocean Spray Cranberries)
- 1 (11.5-ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Land O’ Lakes butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. Land O’ Lakes butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens cookies)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (6-ounce) package Traverse Bay Fruit Company dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Pour 3/4 cup morsels into a small saucepan with 2 tbsp. butter.
- Heat over low heat until chocolate dissolves and melts.
- Set remaining morsels aside.
- Cool melted chocolate slightly.
- Mix sugars, butter, eggs, vanilla, melted chocolate chips and baking powder with an electric mixer.
- Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour, remaining bag of chocolate chips, dried cherries and pecans.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Scoop dough into balls with a small cookie scoop and place on greased cookie sheets or ones sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies are puffed and set to the touch.
- For a firmer cookie bake for 14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Black Forest Cookies are great for holiday baking or Valentine’s Day. Because you can find these ingredients all year long you can make these cookies any time you get the urge!
Are you ready to sink your teeth into these amazing goodies?
I love the look of the melted chocolate chips in these cookies! Each bite is so yummy. Watch the mad scramble to grab a Black Forest Cookie!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B00030CGKY,B001CIEJRO,B000R4LD1Y,B0001MSEPU,B009HBJV44′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fcd52519-3f50-11e7-9000-abfaded4e00a’]