Chicken and Dumpling Casserole is spectacular! It’s one of those savory dishes you just can’t get enough of. Well, as you can tell this is my second version of this recipe in as many days, so I guess you can say I really enjoyed it! It’s super easy and uses less than 10 ingredients. It basically has four layers and each one is really, really simple. Plus, once it cooks up it really does taste like eating Chicken and Dumplings that you’ve worked all day to make. Did I say that this recipe only takes about 10 minutes until it’s oven ready? Yay!
For those of you who like Homemade Chicken and Dumplings this is about as close as it gets without all the work. It really is a tasty and a wonderful main dish for your family or company. Plus, you don’t have to mix the ingredients. Instead you just spread layer on top of layer. The casserole magically bakes up to perfection without ever stirring the layers together. It’s amazing. If you want an easy dinner experience, this is it.
When I originally posted this recipe in April 2014 I made the version gluten free. While the recipe tasted great, it was very involved, had too many stages and was not very easy for most cooks. I picked ingredients from many different recipes. It was okay, but not easy. Besides all that, the photographs were just not pleasing to look at.
So I went back to the drawing board (circa May 2018). I followed this particular recipe really closely this time. I even used the Campbell’s cream of chicken and mushroom soup that the blogger recommended. The only thing I changed was to use half-and-half rather than milk, since I wanted to make sure the dumplings were thick and not thin and soupy.
The original version suggests this recipe can be done in 45 minutes. Not in my oven. Ever! It took one hour thirty minutes for this to cook thoroughly enough that it was set. I actually pulled it out of the oven at around 1 hour 10 minutes. I cut into it and realized it still wasn’t done. So I put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. The soup cooked up and was no longer jiggly in the middle. It was perfect.
I served it for our Friday night care group last night. Even though we had a ton of other side dishes and desserts, the Chicken and Dumpling Casserole was cleaned out. No one got to take home leftovers! Everyone thought it was delicious and couldn’t believe it wasn’t the real thing. 🙂 If you’re looking for inspiration for your next family dinner, give Chicken and Dumpling Casserole a try. This comfort food will have you drooling after the first bite.
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole is a mouthwatering recipe reminiscent of Homemade Chicken and Dumplings.
Each bite is mouthwatering.
This is a terrific main dish for company, too.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and celery.
Saute about 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread veggie mixture evenly into prepared dish.
Meanwhile, prepare other layers. I bought the packages of chicken that were already cut up, but I diced the chicken a little finer.
Layer chicken pieces on top of the veggie mixture. (Do NOT stir).
Combine half-and-half with self-rising flour.
Stir ingredients with a whisk to combine.
Pour flour and milk mixture over top of chicken. Do NOT stir.
Add chicken broth to the cream of chicken and mushroom soup.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Pour soup mixture over top of flour/half-and-half mixture. Do NOT stir ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Place casserole in oven and bake at 350 for about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours until the casserole is set. (Mine took an hour and a half until it was no longer jiggly in the middle). Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole is sure to please any palate.
I had to admit I had my doubts about how this would turn out. Chicken and Dumpling Casserole surprised me. It really turned out quite well. Thankfully, my husband and I don’t mind being guinea pigs for new recipes!
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN AND DUMPLING CASSEROLE
(Recipe adapted from The Country Cook)
- 3-4 cups of cooked, diced chicken
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups of chicken stock/broth (low sodium is best)
- 1 recipe [url href=”http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/condensed-homemade-cream-chicken-soup-recipe/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade condensed cream of chicken soup”]homemade condensed cream of chicken soup[/url] (see recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour into the bottom of a 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Shred chicken and spread it on top of melted butter in glass baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk milk into flour mixture and slowly pour over the chicken.
- This is somewhat thick, so you will have to almost spoon or drizzle the mixture over top of the chicken.
- [u]Do not stir.[/u]
- Whisk together the chicken broth and the homemade cream of chicken soup. (See recipe below).
- Pour chicken soup mixture over top the flour and milk mixture.
- [u]Do not stir[/u].
- Bake uncovered at 400° for 45-60 minutes, or until top is light golden brown.
- Allow casserole to set up about 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 1/3 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. celery seed
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup diced cooked chicken
- Put chicken stock in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour together until the lumps from the flour are dissolved.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling chicken stock.
- Whisk to combine.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, celery seed and thyme.
- Reduce heat to low, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Mine thickened in a matter of seconds!
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken (if using).
- Use in recipes immediately.
Each forkful of this Chicken and Dumpling Casserole was tasty and succulent.
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole has a LOT of chicken which is probably why my husband liked it too.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $109.99Was: $150.00