Banana Blondies will make you salivate. No kidding. I loved these scrumptious cookies–especially the icing. In these delectable goodies you brown the butter in both the cookie section and the icing, adding a rich, deep flavor that permeates the brownie. Most home baked goods that you add bananas too end up cake-like. But not these blondies. They really kept a nice, dense texture, like brownies should making them quite spectacular in my opinion.
Last month I was trying to use up a thousand overripe bananas (uh, well it sure seemed like that many). John had purchased several bunches and I ended up holding the bag with lots of unused bananas on my hands. I started combing Pinterest for recipes and came across this one that I really wanted to try. I’m really glad I did because it turned out to be a real fave.
If you’re looking for an out-of-this-world delicious dessert for your next party, holiday function, summer holiday fun, backyard barbecue, or for a family dessert, and you’ve got a few bananas you want to use up, then add them to this fantastic recipe. Banana Blondies will have you drooling in no time.
Banana Blondies are extraordinary!
I kid you not. Each bite will have you salivating!
Banana Blondies are the ultimate comfort food.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place butter in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. This may take 5-10 minutes.
Remove butter to a mixing bowl and add brown sugar. Mix thoroughly with an electric mixer. Make sure mixture is cool before proceeding to the next step.
Add eggs, salt and vanilla.
Cream ingredients again until smooth.
Stir in UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add mashed bananas. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Pour banana batter into prepared baking dish.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Melt butter in saucepan over low to medium heat. Add brown sugar and half-and-half and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes.
Add powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
Whisk until no lumps remain from the powdered sugar.
Spread frosting quickly over top of cooled blondies. (I refrigerated mine before cutting to get a clean, sharp edge).
Banana Blondies are a great way to use up overripe bananas.
The frosting makes these blondies oh, so special.
Here’s the recipe.
(Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups)
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks (one cup) unsalted butter, melted (and browned, if desired)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- ½ tsp. salt[br]
- [b]BROWNED SUGAR ICING:[/b][br]
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. milk or half-and-half
- To brown butter, place in saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
- This may take five or ten minutes.
- Place browned butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- If the mixture has not cooled sufficiently, wait a few minutes before adding egg, vanilla and salt.
- (So the egg doesn’t scramble!).
- Mix again until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in flour and bananas and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow blondies to cool completely before icing with browned sugar icing. [br]
- Melt butter over medium heat in medium-sized saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and half-and-half and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool icing 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Spread over cooled blondies.
Banana Blondies are great for tailgating parties or summer holiday fun.
The Browned Butter Frosting on these blondies is delectable.
I would have eaten the whole batch of Banana Blondies if I hadn’t packed them away in my freezer for someone else! 🙂
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!