Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette
Gluten Free Living – 2015
Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette is incredibly succulent and delectable. I guarantee once you try it, it will frequently appear on your dinner menu. This mouthwatering recipe uses both crushed tomatoes and grape tomatoes, along with red potatoes and chicken (of course), and it’s topped with a tasty Herb Vinaigrette before baking. Then it’s sprinkled with mozzarella cheese the last few minutes of baking adding an Italian flare to the dish.
While Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette is absolutely delicious, it’s also a clean eating, healthy, low calorie and gluten free entree. I’m always looking for great ideas for preparing chicken. The healthier, cleaner and tastier the recipe, the better I like it. 🙂 After I saw pictures of this on Pinterest, I knew it was time to give this delightful recipe a go.
I’ve posted a lot of chicken recipes on this blog before, including Roasted Chicken with Rosemary (one of our family favorites), Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes (which is a little similar to today’s recipe), Roasted Chicken with Vegetables, and Rosemary-Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans (another family favorite).
I also have many fantastic chicken recipes which are not one dish meals, such as: Baked Chicken Bruschetta, Herb Chicken with Roasted Garlic, Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce, Pesto Chicken, Chicken and Mushroom Casserole, Rotisserie Style Baked Chicken, Chicken Provencal, and a personal favorite, Chicken Fricassee and Herb Dumplings. As you can see, I love chicken recipes. All of these use whole chicken pieces rather than cut up chicken pieces which makes food preparation a lot easier for me.
Last month we had a friend in our Sunday school class lose a parent unexpectedly. After the dust settled, I asked them if I could bring a meal over. Instead they turned the tables on us and invited us to share the meal with them. We were delighted to do so. Along with Baked Italian Chicken with Potatoes and Herb Vinaigrette, I brought a side of Green Beans Amandine, Pear Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette and a Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting.
The four of us polished off the main dish, the green beans and half of the salad. I left all of the dessert for them…… Except for the cake, the meal was very healthy and low calorie. We enjoyed every morsel of food having second and third helpings of just about everything.
If you’re looking for a sensational chicken entree for company or just for your own family, I can highly recommend Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette. The next time I make this I will probably use canned diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes like the original recipe called for to provide a little more texture. Other than that, there aren’t too many changes I’d make to the basic recipe. It’s excellent. I think your family will feel the same way if you give it a try.
Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette is spectacular!
This lovely chicken entree has so many savory flavors that it’s quite heavenly.
Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette is great for a company meal.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. I would also recommend using diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes for more texture.
Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Fry in olive oil on both sides about 10 minutes each side for chicken breasts and about 3 minutes each side for chicken thighs or smaller pieces.
Meanwhile, boil red potatoes. Drain. Score the outsides of the potatoes so they will more readily absorb the Herb Vinaigrette while cooking.
After scoring the potatoes, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Spray a large 10×15″ glass baking dish or other oven proof baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Place chicken pieces in the center of the dish and place the potatoes around the chicken pieces.
I used these ingredients to make the Herb Vinaigrette.
Chop herbs and garlic. Mix ingredients to combine.
Pour can of crushed or diced tomatoes around the chicken and potato pieces. Pour Herb Vinaigrette over top of chicken and potatoes.
Add cherry or grape tomatoes.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until chicken tests done. This will only take 20-30 minutes with chicken thighs or smaller chicken pieces. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese melts. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, as desired.
Baked Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette has all the Italian flavors you love in pizza and spaghetti but in a chicken dish instead!
Here’s the recipe.
BAKED ITALIAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES WITH HERB VINAIGRETTE
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 4 chicken thigh fillets, skin on and bone in
- olive oil
- 1 15oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 10-oz. container grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ lbs. petite red potatoes, washed or 3 medium size potatoes (1 ½ lbs.), peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated or six-cheese Italian blend
- Salt and pepper, to taste[br]
- [b]HERB VINAIGRETTE:[/b][br]
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 or 2 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary leaves (only use 2 if you’re used to the flavor)
- 2/3 tsp. minced garlic from a jar or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar (red wine vinegar will also work)
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Boil the potatoes until slightly undercooked.
- Scrape the potatoes with a fork to score the potatoes.
- This allows the potatoes to absorb the vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a few tablespoonfuls of olive oil in a large skillet, Dutch oven or an ovenproof casserole dish over high heat.
- Add chicken and brown well on both sides, about 10 minutes for each side for really large chicken breasts—about 3 minutes per side for thighs.
- Remove pan from heat, and drain off fat. (See note below).
- Place potatoes around the chicken.
- Pour the can of crushed or diced tomatoes around the chicken and potatoes.
- Sprinkle meat and veggies with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Drizzle the Herb Vinaigrette over all the chicken and potatoes.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on top.
- Bake casserole for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- (This will take less time for chicken thighs – 20-30 minutes).
- Remove casserole dish from oven and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.
- Return casserole to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Allow casserole to stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves. [br]
- Chop herbs and garlic.
- Mix with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken and potatoes in baking dish as directed above.
I served this delectable entree with Green Beans Amandine and Pear Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette which provided not only a delicious meal but a very healthy, low calorie and clean eating meal as well.
Baked Italian chicken and Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette is a scrumptious chicken entree your family is sure to love.