2013 – Gluten Free Living
Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce is a really lovely recipe! Baked chicken is served with gluten free pasta and served with a sumptuous Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce that’s really mouthwatering. While you don’t have to use gluten free pasta or flour in this recipe if you’re not gluten intolerant, I chose to use those ingredients and the recipe turned out quite wonderfully.
The sun-dried tomato basil sauce is made with reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes, red bell pepper, diced shallots, and freshly chopped basil along with cream and chicken broth. This creamy sauce is smooth to the tastebuds and flavored with the veggies and basil. You will be smacking your lips at the deliciousness of this delightful entree.
The original recipe calls for grilled chicken but I decided that baking the chicken would be easier for me so that’s what I did. I added red bell pepper to the sauce to add a little more color and slightly increased the amounts of the shallots and sun-dried tomatoes.
As I stated earlier I substituted gluten free flour, but other than that I pretty much followed the recipe. It’s quite a tasty dinner dish that’s not overly expensive, nor too difficult to make. Granted, I cook all the time so I thought the recipe was easy but I realize everyone has different levels of experience in the kitchen–still this recipe cannot be considered too involved or difficult.
If you’re looking for a delectable way to make chicken for your family, I can highly recommend this recipe. I also recommend it for serving company. If you time everything right, this main dish with pasta can be made in just over an hour. Add a side salad or veggie and you’re good to go. My family has always enjoyed pasta, so serving chicken over pasta with a succulent, savory sauce drizzled over top is a win-win for us. I think it will be a win-win for you too!
Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce is a delicious main-dish entree. The creamy sauce has wonderful savory flavors due to the shallots, bell peppers, tomatoes and freshly chopped basil.
Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce is healthy and gluten free. This easy recipe took me just over an hour to put together. While the chicken was baking I made the sauce and the noodles so it was all done at the same time.
We love sauces served over pasta and this one is very delectable.
Here’s what I did.
Spray a 10×14″ baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Place four chicken breasts in pan and sprinkle heavily with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over top of the chicken. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over. Salt and pepper again. Bake an additional 30 minutes until done.
Meanwhile, prepare everything for the sauce. Dice shallots, chop fresh basil, chop sun-dried tomatoes and add to water so they can rehydrate.
Place a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan and add diced red bell pepper. Saute a few minutes. Add diced shallots and saute a few minutes more until veggies are tender.
I added gluten free flour but if you don’t have gluten intolerance, regular all-purpose flour will work. Whisk flour to incorporate. Saute the veggies with the flour for a few minutes.
Add chicken broth. Work chicken broth into veggies about 1/4 cup at a time until all of the broth is incorporated.
Add the cream and cook until sauce thickens.
Here the chicken is done.
Once sauce has thickened stir in basil and drained, rehydrated tomatoes.
This sauce was mouthwatering!
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. I think this only took 5-6 minutes. I like to stir a little olive oil or butter into the pasta after it’s cooked to prevent it from sticking.
Update 2017: I’ve found that Ronzoni makes a delicious gluten free pasta that is far superior to any other GF pasta I’ve tried.
To serve: divide pasta among four plates. Place chicken breasts over top of pasta. Ladle Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce over top of chicken and pasta. You can also grill the chicken but it was a lot easier for me to bake it so I didn’t have to watch the grill at the same time.
This meal is very filling and satisfying. It goes great with a side salad or fruit.
The lovely flavors of tomatoes and basil make this recipe succulent and amazing.
Here’s the recipe.
Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce
(Recipe adapted from In The Kitchen with Jenny)
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup diced shallots
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill gluten free brown rice flour (or any gluten free flour)
- 1/3 to ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (reconstituted in ½ cup water)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (I used heavy cream)
- 16 oz. DeBoles gluten free angel hair pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 10×14” glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in dish.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: chop or dice sun dried tomatoes and add ½ cup water.
- Allow the tomatoes to sit in the water about 5-10 minutes to plump up for use.
- While tomatoes are reconstituting, place a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in medium saucepan.
- Add red bell pepper and sauté a few minutes until soft.
- Add diced shallots and cook a few more minutes until veggies are soft.
- Add flour and whisk to combine.
- Slowly work in chicken broth with a whisk, then add cream and continue whisking until smooth.
- Cook over low to medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Dice basil and add to sauce with the drained tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Keep over very low heat until ready to serve.
- Heat water in a large stockpot.
- Add gluten free angel hair pasta and cook about 5 minutes according to package directions.
- Drain pasta add a little oil or butter to keep noodles from sticking together.
- [b]To serve:[/b] Spread angel hair pasta on plates.
- Place a cooked chicken breast on the bed of noodles.
- Spoon Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce over top of the chicken and pasta.
This recipe makes 4 hearty servings. This elegant and festive looking dish is great served for company.
You can stretch this dish easily by using a whole cut-up chicken which will work well if you have small children who can’t possibly eat a whole chicken breast for dinner. (Or cut each chicken breast in half).
We loved the fantastic flavor of the sauce. Tomatoes and basil go so well together.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $39.99Was: $49.99
Price: $93.99Was: $99.99