Gluten Free Living – 2015
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is a mouthwatering chicken entree that’s really easy to make. It also provides a healthy, nourishing one-dish meal for your family. I love my Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes recipe, and Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is inspired from that tasty main dish. Both recipes are complete meals in and of themselves. I decided to make a chicken dish with several vegetables including petite red potatoes, petite baby carrots (for faster cooking), yellow squash, zucchini, tomato, onions, leeks and garlic. I used most of the sauce ingredients from the Roasted Lemon Chicken dish, with one big exception: this one has no lemon. It’s not that I don’t like lemon, I do. But I wanted something without it this time.
Our church recently hired a new worship pastor. He and his family moved up from Austin a couple of weekends ago and I offered to bring them a meal. I made up a batch of Roasted Chicken and Vegetables and served it with my favorite Scalloped Tomatoes recipe, Corn Casserole, Sun-Dried Tomato Rosemary Bread, Rocky Road S’Mores Bars and a batch of Strawberry Pecan Streusel Muffins for breakfast the following day. I figured there would be enough food for two dinner meals which is what I usually try to provide when I’m cooking for someone else. I know that moving into a new home is traumatic enough without having to worry about cooking.
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is a healthy, low calorie, gluten free main dish that you’re whole family will enjoy. The olive oil marinade made the chicken and veggies turn out so wonderful. I was trying to add some roasted vegetables to the dish other than just tomatoes and potatoes, or the more traditional potatoes and carrots that most roasts have.
So I added yellow squash and zucchini to those other vegetables and they cooked up beautifully and were very tasty. I’ve used green beans and sweet potatoes in my Rosemary-Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans, so I thought the squash would be a nice change of pace. Because I really enjoyed the sauce in my Roasted Lemon Chicken recipe, I carried it over to this one. You can increase the crushed red pepper flakes if you want some zip to the recipe.
If you’re looking for an easy main dish meal where you don’t have to serve any other side dishes (unless you want to), give Roasted Chicken with Vegetables a try. Roasting meats and especially vegetables adds so much additional flavor to the food. I basted the meat and veggies with sauce from the bottom of the baking dish before serving to increase the flavor. You will be licking your lips in no time after a few bites of this delicious entree.
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is a wonderful one-dish meal.
This terrific entree is seasoned marvelously, and it’s fairly easy to prepare, too.
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is healthy, low calorie and gluten free.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place chicken pieces in a 10×15″ glass baking dish (use a larger dish to avoid overcrowding). Place red potatoes, carrots, zucchini and squash around the outside of the dish. Spread leeks and onion rings across the meat and vegetables.
Place olive oil and seasonings in a glass measuring cup. Stir to incorporate ingredients completely.
Drizzle or brush olive oil mixture over top chicken and veggies. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for about 45 minutes.
Add tomatoes and bake an additional 45-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through when pierced with a fork and it reaches the proper internal temperature.
Baste the chicken and veggies with additional broth from the bottom of the baking dish before serving.
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is an excellent choice for a company dinner, too.
Here’s the recipe.
ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
(Recipe inspired from my Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or one whole chicken cut-up
- 1 small onion sliced, and separated into rings
- 2 lbs. petite red potatoes
- ½-2/3 cup Olivari olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 10-oz. sunburst cherry tomatoes
- 2 yellow squash, ends removed and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 2 zucchinis, ends removed and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 2 leeks, green top removed, sliced
- Italian seasoning for garnish
- Salt and pepper for garnish
- Spray a large 10×15” baking dish with a rim with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place chicken pieces into the dish.
- Place potatoes and carrots around the edge of the baking dish.
- Arrange onion rings, garlic and leeks over top of chicken, potatoes and carrots.
- Arrange squash and zucchini over top of the potatoes.
- Mix olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt.
- Stir to combine and drizzle over chicken and veggies.
- Sprinkle heavily with more Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Bake about 45 minutes at 400°.
- Add tomatoes.
- Bake an additional 45-60 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- (Some larger pieces may take longer).
The olive oil marinade for the chicken and veggies is amazing and adds marvelous taste.
Why don’t you give Roasted Chicken with Veggies a try?
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $68.40Was: $85.00