Chicken A La King is one of my favorite, homey old-fashioned recipes. This scrumptious entree can be served over top of Homemade Rolls, toast, biscuits or noodles, and it is one of the best comfort foods ever. The base is a cream sauce made from chicken broth and seasoned with poultry seasoning and thyme. Several colors of bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and peas are then added to the sauce along with cooked chicken. It’s absolutely superb.
Last month my youngest son flew in for a few days so I served this delicious chicken dish for one of the meals, along with Homemade Rolls, Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie, Custard Pie and Coconut Custard Pie–a few of his favorites. It had been years since I’d made Chicken A La King, but I made it frequently when the kids were little.
I’d made the rolls the day before for another meal and because it makes three dozen rolls, I started looking through my cookbook in order to find something else to use the rolls with. The chicken sauce is really good drizzled over rolls and is a little similar to Creamed Dried Beef Over Biscuits, except it uses chicken and veggies instead of dried beef.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy entree for dinner, Chicken A La King should be on the menu. It’s tasty and delicious and one of those recipes you’ll never be able to get over or grow tired of. It’s so good.
Chicken A La King is one of my favorite old-fashioned recipes.
The poultry seasoning and thyme make this dish unbelievably delicious.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. In the background are deboned chicken pieces and homemade chicken broth.
Heat water to boiling in a large sauce pan. Cook peas, bell peppers, mushrooms and onion in boiling water about 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables but RESERVE the liquid.
Stir flour into cream or milk and whisk until no lumps remain.
Combine chicken broth, seasonings and RESERVED vegetable liquid in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour/cream mixture and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil stirring constantly one minute.
Add chicken and cooked vegetables.
Stir to combine and heat through.
Chicken A La King is nice and thick and has wonderful taste and texture.
Every ladle is filled with chicken and veggies in a delicious, creamy sauce.
Serve Chicken A La King over top of Homemade Rolls. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN A LA KING
(My own concoction)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 8-oz. sliced fresh mushrooms or 4-oz. can mushrooms, drained
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups cold milk or cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Pepper, as desired
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
- Cooked rice, toast, biscuits, noodles or [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/09/15/homemade-rolls-or-bread/” target=”_blank”]homemade rolls[/url]
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Cook peas, onion, mushrooms and bell peppers in boiling water in a covered pan 5 minutes; drain; save the liquid!
- Blend flour with milk or cream.
- Combine vegetable cooking liquid, chicken broth, seasonings, slowly stir in flour mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cooked vegetables.
- Heat thoroughly and serve over rice, toast, biscuits or noodles.
Chicken A La King is quick, easy and economical.
Every bite of Chicken A La King is scrumptious.
Give this old-timey recipe a try sometime. Your family will love it.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon