Caraway Rye Bread
Caraway Rye Bread is a wonderful bread with a rustic, old-world taste since it is made with rye flour and caraway seeds. I love the smell of this bread while it’s baking and it tastes fantastic, too. I like mine smothered with an all natural, healthy apple butter made with only apples rather than those that fill them with lots of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, preservatives and other unhealthy stuff. It tastes just amazing especially when it’s spread on hot bread.
This is another of those delicious bread recipes from my Black and Decker breadmaker owner’s manual. It is really a shame they don’t have their recipes linked to their website because I have tried many recipes from the cookbook and all of them have turned out excellently. Like all the other wheat flour recipes I recommend using vital wheat gluten in the recipe to ensure it raises properly.
If you’re looking for a light, fluffy, savory dinner bread that’s quick and easy because you pop it into the breadmaker than consider this tasty recipe. The rye flour and caraway seeds make this bread delectable.
Caraway Rye Bread is so light and fluffy. As you can see, I’ve spread my bread with apple butter.
I love the taste of this rustic, old-world, savory, dinner bread.
I grew up eating homemade bread and rolls with jelly so that’s why you see so many of my bread recipes featuring some kind of jam or preserves.
Here’s what I did.
Measure hot water and add to the breadmaker canister. Add powdered milk, shortening or oil, brown sugar, molasses, salt, whole wheat flour, rye flour, caraway seeds, breadmaker yeast and vital wheat gluten. This is the key to getting any wheat/rye flour to raise properly. Place all in the canister in the order listed and bake on a wheat bread setting. Mine takes 4 hours and 10 minutes.
Allow the loaf to cool about 15 minutes before applying butter to the tops and sides to prevent the crust from hardening.
Slice the loaf down. Breadmaker breads are SO easy. You can throw one together in about 5 minutes. They are hardly any work at all!
Caraway Rye Bread comes out nice and fluffy when using vital wheat gluten, not heavy and dense .Serve plain, with butter, or with your favorite jams and preserves.
Here’s the recipe.
CARAWAY RYE BREAD
(Recipe adapted slightly from Black and Decker breadmaker manual)
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 2 tbsp. powdered milk
- 2 tbsp. [url href=”http://www.crisco.com/” target=”_blank” title=”crisco”]Crisco[/url] shortening
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. [url href=”http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/” target=”_blank” title=”grandma’s molasses”]Grandma’s[/url] molasses
- 1 ½ tsp. salt (I used Kosher salt)
- ¾ cup [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal[/url] whole wheat flour
- 2 1/3 cup[url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”] Gold Medal[/url] bread flour
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.hodgsonmill.com/” target=”_blank” title=”hodgson’s mill”]Hodgson’s Mil[/url]l rye flour
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. yeast
- 4 tsp. [url href=”http://www.hodgsonmill.com/” target=”_blank” title=”hodgson’s mill”]Hodgson’s Mill[/url] vital wheat gluten
- Layer ingredients in above order in breadmaker loaf pan.
- Place on whole wheat setting (4 hours 10 minutes).
- Remove from pan and butter top and sides.
- Let set out and cool about a half hour before wrapping or cutting.
- Yield: about 16 half-slices.
Doesn’t Caraway Rye Bread look perfect? I slice my homemade breads down with an electric meat/bread slicer. It cuts perfectly without tearing up the bread in the process.
Give Caraway Rye Bread a try. Your family will love it.