Sweet Potato Fries are one of my favorite ways to make sweet potatoes. I make up a batch of this recipe all the time. No kidding. I have my wonderful daughter-in-law, Candice, to thank for this super easy, healthy, and delicious recipe. Only 3 ingredients–sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and olive oil! Hey, I can manage that!
The hardest part about this recipe is cutting the sweet potatoes in slices. Be careful that the knife doesn’t slip and you end up slicing your fingers! As I said earlier, it is really healthy, and so very tasty. You get a lot of fiber, too. It’s not high in calories and it’s a great way to eat clean.
I’m not sure where Candice found this recipe — whether on the Food Network, allrecipes.com. Or perhaps some website for healthy fitness and eating. But since she gave me the recipe she gets credit for it. This is a healthy side dish to add to any meal. I hope you consider making this super-easy and tasty recipe. Sweet Potato Fries are both gluten free and vegan for health-conscious eaters.
I originally posted this recipe in August of 2012. I’ve remade this recipe several times during the past year and a half. But I decided to update the pictures (November 2013). That way, you have a better representation of what this side dish looks like. As I stated earlier, this really is so easy and a family favorite.
Sweet Potato Fries make a wonderful side dish.
I also eat Sweet Potato Fries for breakfast!
I prefer sprinkling the cinnamon over top of the potatoes after they bake. The cinnamon has a tendency to scorch and blacken when it bakes in the oven. But I do make this either way.
Here’s what I did.
Peel potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
Slice down the potatoes and then cut again in French Fry shapes.
Place your first layer of potatoes in a glass baking dish that’s been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Brush the potatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Add a second layer of sweet potatoes and brush them with olive oil again. Sprinkle with cinnamon. This is the third layer of sweet potatoes. I added another coat of olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover with foil and bake at 450 for 30 minutes or 350 for about an hour.
If desired, sprinkle cinnamon generously over top of the potatoes again. Then stir to combine.
Sweet Potato Fries are ready to serve.
Sweet Potato Fries are great for company or holiday meals.
Here’s the recipe.
SWEET POTATO FRIES
(Recipe adapted from my daughter-in-law, Candice, Oxford, PA)
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Peel potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice each potato into 5 or 6 slices lengthwise.
- Slice each individual slice again in 5 or 6 slices.
- Slice each individual piece again in half or thirds to make French fries.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13” baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place one layer of sweet potato fries in pan.
- Brush with olive oil (start with about ¼ cup).
- Repeat layers twice, brush with olive oil again.
- Bake at 450° about 30 minutes or at 350° about 45-60 minutes or until done.
- Sprinkle heavily with cinnamon. Serves 6-8.[br]
- [b]NOTE: [/b]I prefer sprinkling this dish with cinnamon after baking rather than before, because the cinnamon has a tendency to scorch and blacken.
I absolutely love this tasty side dish and make it all the time.
Each large potato provides approximately two servings.
Healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan!