Pina Colada Streusel Muffins
Do you want to taste some of the most delectable muffins in the world? Pina Colada Streusel Muffins are absolutely that! They’re filled with pineapple, coconut and coconut extract. Then they’re topped with a macadamia nut streusel topping and a vanilla cream frosting. These muffins are crunchy on the outside because of the nutty, streusel topping. They’re fruity and sweet on the inside from pineapple Greek yogurt. They are to die for, seriously!
A couple of months ago, our pastor’s wife contacted me about providing breakfast for a Ladies’ Conference the last weekend of February. I decided to make eight different kinds of streusel muffins. I made Caramel Apple Pie, Strawberry, Blueberry, Cherry, Raspberry, and these Pina Colada muffins. I also included two that were gluten free. Those were Mixed Berry and Strawberry Banana. I had a feeling that some muffins made with pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts would be heavenly. I was right, they turned out so incredibly well.
As it happened, Dallas had several ice and snow storms the preceding week. Even the day before and the day of the conference we had more ice. We had to scrap our original plans. My breakfast items were served for all those who came early to church that Sunday, instead. My blueberry and raspberry muffins were the first to go! The Pina Colada Streusel Muffins were probably my personal favorites out of the eight different muffins I made. But that’s because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE coconut. Having additional coconut flavoring in the batter also increased the flavor astronomically. So for pineapple lovers (like my husband) or coconut lovers (like me), these really rate very highly.
These are exceptionally good muffins for Easter or Mother’s Day breakfast. They’re also terrific for any other holiday or special occasion breakfast. Why not give Pina Colada Streusel Muffins a try? Each bite is breathtaking. These muffins sure are a wonderful breakfast surprise. Especially if you have guests overnight or for a large country breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning. Try them and you’ll see what I mean.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins will make you drool.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins are filled with pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts.
These muffins are a great option for holiday menus.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffins.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add pineapple Greek yogurt, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, coconut extract, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Mix ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add drained crushed pineapple and coconut.
Stir ingredients gently with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix the batter.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray with flour. I used Pillsbury. Spoon batter into muffin tins to the top. (You can also use paper liners but spray them with cooking spray before adding muffin batter).
I used these ingredients to make the streusel topping.
Melt butter. Add remaining ingredients.
Stir to combine.
Spread streusel topping evenly among each muffin. Press crumbs into muffin batter gently so the ingredients adhere.
Bake muffins in a preheated 425 oven for 5 minutes. Adjust heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool muffins before adding glaze. Remove to wire cooking rack.
I used these ingredients to make the icing. Cream works much better than milk in this recipe.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Spoon icing into a zip lock bag and secure the zipper. Cut off a very small tip from one corner.
Pipe icing over top of muffins in any pattern you desire.
While these muffins are a little more involved than some muffins, they taste so scrumptious you will eat up the whole batch in no time.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins include coconut extract providing a wonderful pina colada flavor.
Here’s the recipe.
PINA COLADA STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Recipe inspired from my Strawberry Pecan Streusel Muffins)
- [b]STREUSEL TOPPING:[/b][br]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal [/url]UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ cup sliced macadamia nuts[br]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5.3-oz. container Pineapple ala mode Greek yogurt (or any pineapple yogurt)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. [url href=”http://www.durkee.com/durkee-home” target=”_blank” title=”durkee coconut extract”]Durkee[/url] coconut extract
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal [/url]UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 20-oz. crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 cup coconut[br]
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. [url href=”http://www.bordendairy.com/” target=”_blank” title=”borden heavy whipping cream”]Borden[/url] heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture will be crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray muffin pans with Baker’s Joy or other nonstick cooking spray with flour.
- Set aside.[br]
- In a medium bowl combine butter, sugars, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, coconut extract, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in flour, coconut and drained, crushed pineapple gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins all the way up to the top.
- Crumble the crumb topping over each muffin and press the topping down gently into the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Adjust heat to 350° and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. [br]
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes in muffin tins.
- Remove muffins from baking tins and place on wire rack.
- Place glaze mixture in a zip lock bag and cut off corner.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
Don’t Pina Colada Streusel Muffins look delectable?
If you enjoy pineapple, you’ll love these breakfast muffins.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins make a delightful holiday breakfast for Easter or Mother’s Day.