Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins
Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins are so delightful. These lovely muffins use dried cherries, cherry-flavored Greek yogurt, almonds and almond flavoring. They’re topped with a streusel topping and glazed with a vanilla cream icing. I debated whether or not to use maraschino cherries or dried cherries. If it had been Christmas time, I would have used candied cherries. But as it was, I decided to use dried cherries. I was hoping the muffins wouldn’t be too dry or that the cherries wouldn’t be too hard to chew. My concerns were needless, because these muffins turned out so wonderfully.
Cherries and almonds work very well together and I have several cookie, pie and cake recipes that use both together. While I used a basic muffin recipe, I swapped out almonds for the pecans and added almond extract which really increased the flavor. I made up a batch of these tasty muffins for a Ladies’ Conference at our church a couple of weeks ago. I surveyed many people wh0 ate all the stuff I served that day and these muffins got rave reviews.
I have to admit that I love cherries. Cherries in Breakfast Cobbler, cherries in cookies, cherries in cake, cherries in cheesecake, cherries in decadent desserts and cherries in dump cake. I also like cherries paired with chocolate like in Black Forest Dream Dessert or Oreo Cookie Mud Pie. On top of that, cherries are really tasty with bananas in Banana Split Dessert and with other fruits in fruit salad. I think I’m one of those who think cherries are good for what ails you!
Well, cherries are certainly an excellent choice for muffins as well. If you’re looking for a great recipe for your next holiday breakfast, I can’t recommend Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins high enough. While this recipe has several steps, it is not overly difficult and the outcome is spectacular. The best suggestions I can provide is don’t overmix the batter when adding the flour and make sure your oven is preheated to a full 425 degrees before baking the first 5 minutes of baking time. This will ensure the muffins raise properly and not fall flat during the middle of baking. Enjoy.
Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins are some of the BEST muffins you’ll ever eat.
If you love cherries, you’ll love these muffins.
I used dried cherries rather than maraschino or candied cherries in this recipe, but any kind of cherry will probably work.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffin batter.
Soften butter and place it in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, brown sugar, cherry Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, almond extract, cream, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Cream ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add dried cherries.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine just until moistened. Don’t overmix the batter.
Spray muffin tins with a cooking spray with flour. I used Pillsbury. Spoon batter to the tops of muffin tins.
I used these ingredients for the streusel topping.
Melt butter. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Evenly divide streusel topping over each muffin and press lightly into the batter so topping ingredients adhere.
Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 5 minutes. Adjust heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pans.
I used these ingredients to make the vanilla cream frosting. Cream works a lot better in this recipe rather than milk.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Spoon icing into a zip lock bag. Zip the bag and cut off a small tip from one corner. Drizzle glaze over top of muffins in any pattern you desire.
There’s plenty of icing to ice all the muffins.
Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins are great muffins to make for an Easter or Mother’s Day breakfast.
Here’s the recipe.
- [b]STREUSEL TOPPING:[/b][br]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal [/url]UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ cup sliced almonds[br]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5.3-oz. container [url href=”http://www.chobani.com/” target=”_blank” title=”chobani greek yogurt”]Chobani [/url]Black Cherry Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. [url href=”http://www.adamsextract.com/” target=”_blank” title=”adams almond extract”]Adam’s [/url]almond extract
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Meda[/url]l UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 5-oz. [url href=”http://www.mariani.com/” target=”_blank” title=”mariani cherries”]Mariani[/url] dried cherries, halved or diced[br]
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture will be crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray muffin pans with Baker’s Joy nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.[br]
- In a medium bowl combine butter, sugars, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, almond extract, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in flour and dried cherries gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins all the way up to the top.
- Crumble the crumb topping over each muffin and press the topping down gently into the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Adjust heat to 350° and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. [br]
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes in muffin tins.
- Remove muffins from baking tins and place on wire rack.
- Place glaze mixture in a zip lock bag and cut off corner.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins are packed with flavor and texture.
Don’t Cherry Almond Streusel Muffins look delicious?