Cherry Almond Bars
Cherry Almond Bars are gooey, fruit bars that are festive and beautiful for any occasion. While these make a great treat for the holidays, certainly you can make them anytime of the year. These blondies have a shortbread crust topped with cherry preserves and lots of sliced almonds. This is a splendid dessert for company. If you’re a cherry lover these bar-type cookies are an absolute delight.
A few months ago I made up a salad that used cherry preserves in the salad dressing. I had those cherry preserves in the refrigerator so I was wondering what I could do to use them up. When I remade a batch of Apricot Almond Bars a few weeks ago, I realized that the same basic recipe would work well for cherries too. So I gave it a whirl. Yes, it was wonderful. Cherries and almonds always work well together.
Cherry Almond Bars are very gooey so I recommend freezing or refrigerating the bars before cutting. If you’re looking for a dream dessert for company, then this recipe needs to be on your list. Every bite will have you drooling. 🙂
Cherry Almond Bars are festive treats that are especially terrific for the holidays.
If you enjoy cherries, you’ll love these fruit-filled bars.
Cherry Almond Bars are a great dessert for any occasion.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Soften butter. I usually microwave it so that it’s half-way between softened and melted. That makes it easier to work into the crust dough. Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add powdered sugar.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Grease a 9×13″ glass baking dish. Press crust ingredients firmly into prepared dish.
Place in a 350 oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, as crust is baking prepare filling. Place sugar, egg, cherry preserves, vanilla and a tablespoon of butter into mixing bowl.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Pour cherry filling into pre-baked crust.
Top with almonds.
Bake at 350 an additional 15-20 minutes until set.
Almonds make these bars nice and crunchy.
If you take a tray of Cherry Almond Bars to your office, they will be gobbled down immediately.
Here’s the recipe.
CHERRY ALMOND BARS
(Recipe inspired from my Apricot Almond Bars)
- 1 ½ cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened or melted[br]
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 8-10-oz. [url href=”http://www.smuckers.com/products/fruit-spreads/preserves/cherry-preserves” target=”_blank”]Smucker’s[/url] cherry preserves
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened or melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¾ to 1 cup sliced [url href=”https://fishernuts.com/” target=”_blank”]Fisher[/url] almonds
- In a mixing bowl, stir flour, sugar and butter.
- Spread into the bottom and ½ inch up the sides of a 9×13” glass baking dish that has been sprayed well with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° oven for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, beat egg, sugar, preserves, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Spread evenly over hot crust.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
Every bite of Cherry Almond Bars will have you drooling.
We love these scrumptious bars and think you will too.