Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole
I love this recipe for Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole! It’s cheesy, of course. But it also has a delightful Ritz Cracker crumb topping that pulls the whole casserole together. Truly this is the perfect casserole for company or holidays when you’re trying to come up with something a little different but don’t need something that takes an exorbitant amount of time to prepare.
Follow Me On Instagram!
I served this delicious side dish one Wednesday night for our weekly Bible study group meeting. Along with Grilled Ribs and other fixin’s we had a veritable feast that night. You can prepare this dish ahead if you need to. Then pop it in the oven about 45-60 minutes before you need it to be ready to serve.
Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole is from a vintage recipe that I’ve had for decades. It uses sour cream, cheddar cheese, celery and onion in the base. Then it has a cheddar cheese and Ritz cracker topping on top. The combination is just outstanding. If you’re looking for a way to use up mixed vegetables this side dish comes together so easily.
Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole is a marvelous casserole for holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.
We grilled ribs and other veggies the night we served this.
This is really a low maintenance casserole to make up for your family. Almost any combination of leftover veggies will work too.
Here’s what I did.
I used these vegetables.
Microwave each bag of frozen vegetables about 5 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl.
Add sour cream, part of the cheddar cheese, diced celery and diced onion. Sprinkle with pepper, as desired.
Stir ingredients well to combine and pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
Place remaining cheddar cheese and crushed Ritz cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl or measuring cup. Add melted butter.
Stir topping ingredients to combine.
Sprinkle topping ingredients over top of mixed vegetables in baking dish.
Bake at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until mixture starts bubbling around the edges of the dish. If you have other things in the oven at the same time and need to cook at 350 degrees instead, the dish may not take quite so long to cook.
We found Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole outstanding.
This side dish goes well with almost any kind of meat–fish, beef, pork, chicken or turkey.
This is an excellent way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
Here’s the recipe.
CHEESY MIXED VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
(My own concoction)
Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole
- 1 2-quart baking dish
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 1 quart measuring cup
- 1 Rolling Pin to crush the Ritz crackers (or crush crackers in your hands)
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
- 24 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables thawed (two 12-ounce bags)
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/2 cup butter melted (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Microwave each bag of vegetables about 5 minutes on high.
- Combine mixed vegetables with celery, onion, sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture into greased 2 qt. casserole dish.
- Then combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top: 2 cups Ritz Cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir with a fork and spread cracker mixture over top of casserole dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole is such a tasty and delicious side dish. We enjoy it for weeknight dinners too.
The nice thing about this recipe is it’s not made with canned soups! If you need to make this recipe gluten free, look for gluten free crackers to use to replace the Ritz crackers in the recipe.
Every bite of this casserole is so mouthwatering. Give it a try today!