Mexican Bean Taco Salad is one fabulous salad. It’s filled with black and kidney beans, corn, avocados, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, Habanero Jack cheese, cilantro and a tasty ground beef filling. Top it off with tortilla chips and a tasty French dressing and you’re good to go. This salad has it all–taste, texture, spice and crunch. We actually enjoyed this salad with Olive Garden‘s famous salad dressing and that was perfect!
This wonderful potluck recipe is one your family is sure to enjoy. It’s delicious, healthy, and low in calories if you stay away from all the sweet or creamy ranch-type dressings! I serve mine with cooked ground beef seasoned with Homemade Taco Seasoning. It is so much healthier without all the extra MSG, sugar and preservatives in most seasoning packets that actually cause your body to crave more food. Leave off the tortilla chips or Fritos if you are cutting down on calories and refined foods. Otherwise, sit down and enjoy!
Mexican Bean Taco Salad is a combination of several of my taco salad recipes.You can use seasoned ground beef, chicken, or steak in this recipe or leave it off entirely. Whatever you prefer. We like using a hot spicy cheese instead of plain cheddar cheese to give it a little more zip. I add cilantro on top of the salad and serve avocados on the side since they deteriorate so quickly. Most taco salad recipes call for the salad to be tossed with Catalina dressing. But since more and more people prefer ranch dressing I usually just set out several different kinds of dressing and let each person take their choice.
I first made this recipe in September 2012 in the very early days of my blog. The pictures were beyond deplorable. They should have been outlawed they were so bad! When I was going through my salad recipes to put together a collage I stumbled across this recipe again and decided to make it for dinner on the spot because I couldn’t it good conscience allow this to be displayed with such poor pictures. I think you will find these pictures a whole lot more presentable then the first batch. Enjoy.
Mexican Bean Taco Salad is a fabulous Tex-Mex salad loaded with avocado, black beans, corn, tortilla strips, cilantro, tomatoes and olives.
We used Habanero Jack cheese which added a little more zip to this heavenly recipe.
This is how I serve Mexican Bean Taco Salad.
Here’s what I did.
These are the ingredients I used to make this recipe.
I made up a batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning for this recipe.
Now I’ve stirred the taco seasoning together.
Brown lean ground beef. Add diced red onion and Homemade Taco Seasoning or a packet of Taco Seasoning.
Combine and cook about 3-5 minutes. Set meat aside.
Layer lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add halved grape tomatoes and orange champagne cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, diced red and green bell peppers, a half can of drained corn, black beans, red kidney beans, black olives or Manzanilla green olives, and Habanero Jack cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve: Toss salad and place on salad plates. Add cilantro, avocado slices, ground beef mixture and tortilla strips. Serve with French Dressing or Catalina Dressing.
We actually served Mexican Bean Taco Salad with a bottle of Olive Garden’s delicious dressing. It was terrific!
This salad is so hearty and filling. You don’t need to serve it with anything else.
This plate has cilantro added on the top.
Here’s the recipe.
MEXICAN BEAN TACO SALAD
(My own concoction)
- 3 bags Butter Bliss lettuce
- 8-oz. pkg. Habanero Jack or Chipotle shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 lbs. ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 packet taco seasoning or [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/09/03/homemade-taco-seasoning/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade taco seasoning”]Homemade Taco Seasoning[/url]
- ½ 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- ½ 15-oz. can dark red kidney beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- ½ 15-oz. can whole kernel corn, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 pt. containers grape tomatoes (I used one container Champagne orange cherry tomatoes)
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced
- ½ large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 slice red onion, diced fine (or about 1/3 cup)
- ¼ to 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced and dipped in lemon juice to preserve color (if not ripe, microwave a few minutes at 50% power until softened)
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Brown beef and onion in skillet and drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Layer lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, black beans, kidney beans, corn, beef mixture and then cheese in very large salad bowl.
- Add avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips before serving.
- If desired, toss before serving with dressing and tortilla chips.
This scrumptious salad is one of the best Taco Salads you’ll ever eat!
Here’s a close up so you can see the texture of everything.
This taco salad has meat, avocados, dressing, cheese, and tortilla chips. Very tasty. Leave off chips for lower calories. Mexican Bean Taco Salad is gluten free if you don’t use commercial taco seasoning mix.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!