Pumpkin, Guacamole and Swiss Sandwiches are so delicious, not to mention healthy! I made up a batch of my Chunky Homemade Guacamole a couple of weeks ago although I mashed the avocados more so it wasn’t quite as chunky as usual. I had this leftover roasted pumpkin from making Roasted Pumpkin Nachos so I said to myself, “Why not see how the two go together in a sandwich?” Oh, my, these were W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!!! I could easily get hooked on eating roasted pumpkin–especially since the only way I’d ever eaten it up to this point was pureed in soups, baked goods or casseroles. Roasted Pumpkin even with just a little salt and pepper has amazing flavor. So when I put these together on homemade Parmesan Pine Nut Bread with Swiss cheese slices all melted and gooey all over them, WOW! It was quite the culinary experience.
This healthy sandwich is a great option for Meatless Mondays and it’s quite filling too. Sure, you can round it out with a bowl of chowder, or a salad, but it’s quite filling and satisfying just by itself. This is a great sandwich to eat in the fall when pumpkins are so readily available. I highly recommend that you don’t cook off all your Halloween pumpkins and puree all of pumpkin. Instead, why not roast some of it and use it in sandwiches like this or in my Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches. Pumpkin is such a healthy side dish–especially when it’s not all gooped up with sugar!
If you’re looking for a different take on a Tex-Mex sandwich, then please consider trying Pumpkin, Guacamole and Swiss Sandwiches sometime soon. Even the Chunky Homemade Guacamole only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. If you have the roasted pumpkin on hand, these sandwiches will only take a little more effort to grill and put together. You will love them.
Any time I can get my guacamole fix is a good time. This sandwich delivers!
Pumpkin, Guacamole and Swiss Sandwiches are really clean–especially if you make homemade guacamole from scratch and use homemade bread without preservatives!
You can use between two and four slices of Swiss cheese for this sandwich–it just depends on your preference. Pumpkin, Guacamole, and Swiss Sandwiches are a wonderful Meatless Mondays option.
Here’s what I did.
Make up a batch of Chunky Homemade Guacamole.
Lay your bread slices out on a counter and add Swiss cheese slices on each piece of bread. I used a homemade Parmesan Pine Nut Bread which was a very sturdy bread.
Add guacamole to cover one of the slices of bread.
Now place roasted pumpkin cubes on top of the guacamole and sprinkle both pieces of bread with pepper.
Carefully invert the slice of bread with cheese and place over top of the pumpkin cubes. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a cast-iron skillet over low to medium heat. Add sandwich and cover with a lid. Grill for about 5-10 minutes over a low heat.
Using a pancake turner, carefully invert sandwich and grill the other side. It looks like some of my guacamole fell out of my sandwich! Grill another 5-10 minutes until cheese melts. If cheese doesn’t melt enough, place sandwich on microwavable plate and microwave for about 15 seconds or so until cheese melts sufficiently.
Serve on plates with a side of chips, fresh veggies or fruit. These sandwiches are a little gooey, but if you love cheese and guacamole these sandwiches will delight you!
Whoops, the cheese is gushing out the backside of the sandwich!
Here’s the recipe.
PUMPKIN, GUACAMOLE AND SWISS SANDWICHES
(My own concoction)
- ½ to 3/4 cup [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/04/28/chunkyhomemade-guacamole/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade guacamole”]Chunky Homemade Guacamole[/url]
- pepper, to taste
- 3-4 pieces Swiss cheese, as desired
- ½-3/4 cup roasted pumpkin cubes
- 2 slices bread or homemade [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/10/02/parmesan-pine-nut-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”parmesan pine nut bread”]Parmesan Pine Nut Bread[/url]
- Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Lay bread pieces on counter.
- Place Swiss cheese over top of each piece.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Spoon guacamole on one piece of the bread.
- Spread roasted pumpkin cubes over top of the guacamole.
- Invert remaining piece of bread so cheese is on top of the pumpkin cubes.
- Grill sandwich in skillet about 5 minutes, covered, before flipping sandwich over and grilling the other side.
- Do not use high heat or bread will scorch. [br]
- [b]NOTE:[/b] If the cheese hasn’t melted to your satisfaction, place sandwich on a microwavable plate and microwave 15-30 seconds on reduced power—about 80%.
Doesn’t this Pumpkin, Guacamole and Swiss Sandwich look scrumptious?
This sandwich is quite healthy and very filling. I’m drooling and wishing I had another bite.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!