I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this great sandwich! I had a lot of roasted pumpkin leftover a couple of weeks ago and was trying to find ways to use it up. Originally, I used it for Roasted Pumpkin Nachos which turned out fantastic. So I decided to throw together a scrumptious southwestern-style sandwich using the leftover roasted pumpkin, some Swiss cheese, black beans, corn, tomatoes, diced orange bell pepper, green onions, fresh cilantro and salt and pepper and grilled them on a delicious and savory homemade breadmaker bread.
These grilled sandwiches turned out A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! They had an absolutely wonderful, sumptuous taste that I really enjoyed for an afternoon lunch. I’m sure if you didn’t have roasted pumpkin on hand you can substitute roasted butternut squash and that would work just as well, but the pumpkin was amazing on these sandwiches!
I love southwestern flavors in anything, and the green onions and cilantro provide excellent Tex-Mex flavor. These sandwiches proved to be very tasty, filling and satisfying. Yet, if you prefer a little more oomph in your sandwich you can always sprinkle the cheese with a little cumin or chili powder before grilling for a bigger, spicier taste. I used a very sturdy homemade bread called Parmesan Pine Nut Bread for this sandwich and it was excellent with this combo. While obviously, any bread will work, I think a rye, pumpernickle or sour dough bread would work the best for this combination as all of those breads are a little heavier and will support all the ingredients a little better.
If you’re looking for a healthy, clean eating and fun sandwich to serve your family or friends, why not consider making up some of these fantastic Tex-Mex sandwiches when you’re roasting pumpkin for pumpkin soup or bisque? Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches are quite hearty and filling insomuch as once you sink your teeth into these tasty sandwiches you may find a half sandwich is all you need–especially if you use thick slices of homemade bread. You will find the combination of ingredients is terrific.
Regardless, any time you have some leftover roasted pumpkin on hand, keep this recipe in mind as a way to use it all up without going to waste. Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches are also a great option to consider for Meatless Mondays. You and your family will get a good dose of healthy eating by all the fresh veggies in this wonderful sandwich. Yum.
These fabulous sandwiches were featured on Foodista, October 9, 2013. Yay!
Doesn’t this Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwich look marvelous?
The cheese really enhances all the fresh veggies in this sandwich.
Having Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches is a great way to get your kids to eat all their veggies! The cilantro added a nice Tex-Mex flavor to these sandwiches.
Here’s the back side of the sandwich. I used a homemade Parmesan Pine Nut Bread that I made in my breadmaker. This bread is very substantial which is necessary to hold all the ingredients in this lavish sandwich.
Here’s what I did.
Lay bread pieces out on your counter. Spread Swiss cheese over top of each slice and salt and pepper the cheese well. If you really want a hot, spicy taste to your sandwich than sprinkle lightly with cumin or chili powder as well.
Place pumpkin pieces on top of one slice of bread. I’m making a half sandwich here, rather than a whole sandwich.
Add black beans that have been rinsed, drained, and patted dry.
Add whole kernel corn.
Add cherry tomato or grape tomato halves, diced orange bell pepper, and sliced green onions.
Spread cilantro leaves over top of sandwich. Carefully invert the other piece of bread with cheese over top of the sandwich. Grill, covered, in cast-iron skillet with a little melted butter over low to medium heat about 5-10 minutes per side until bread browns nicely. If the cheese still hasn’t melted to your satisfaction you can microwave the sandwich for about 10-15 seconds or so until the cheese melts sufficiently.
The combination of flavors in this sandwich were amazing.
This sandwich has a lot of cheese. Yum, yum.
Here’s the recipe.
SOUTHWESTERN GRILLED SWISS AND PUMPKIN SANDWICHES
(My own concoction)
- 2 slices homemade Parmesan Pine Nut bread or regular bread
- 3-4 slices Swiss cheese, as desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- about 16 pieces of one-inch cubed roasted pumpkin (or what you need to cover the bread)
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- ½ cup whole kernel corn, drained
- 6-10 cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup diced orange bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. diced green onion
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat a tablespoon or two of butter in a cast-iron skillet to low-medium heat.
- Place two Swiss cheese pieces on each slice of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place pumpkin pieces on one slice of bread to cover the surface.
- Sprinkle black beans and corn over top of the pumpkin.
- Add tomato halves, diced orange bell pepper and diced green onion.
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro leaves over top.
- Invert remaining piece of bread with cheese over top of the other slice with all the sandwich ingredients layered on top.
- Place sandwich carefully in skillet and cover with lid.
- Cook over low to medium heat about 5-10 minutes or so until bread grills nicely.
- Carefully, invert bread with a pancake turner being careful not to let all the filling fall out of the sandwich!
- You may have to restack some of the filling into the sandwich.
- Grill bread on other side with lid covered until bread is golden brown—about 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- If cheese does not melt all the way place sandwich on microwavable tray and microwave about 10-15 seconds or until cheese melts.
Serve Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches along with some Pumpkin Hummus and veggies for a really healthy and filling vegetarian meal. Southwestern Grilled Cheese and Pumpkin Sandwiches have a lot of wonderful veggies. When served on homemade bread this sandwich is very clean and healthy.
Here’s another peek at the inside texture of the sandwich. Southwestern Grilled Swiss and Pumpkin Sandwiches are a great treat for your family.
Come try one of these delectable sandwiches. If you enjoy Tex-Mex and pumpkin, you will love this combination.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!