Gluten Free Living – 2014
The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup is a delightful soup that’s as scrumptious as can be. This lovely soup is not normally gluten free, but I made it gluten free by using my own Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup. It added only about 10-15 minutes more time to the recipe and I ended up with a much cleaner and healthier recipe as a result.
This delicious soup is filled with both yellow and zucchini squash, onions, garlic, cheese and spices. Then it’s garnished with bacon (I got one that had the least amount of processing possible), more cheese and green onions. The result is fantastic! Serve it with Gluten Free Honey Cornbread and it’s doubly fantastic!
The first time I ate this recipe, back in the early 2000s, was at our former pastor’s house when his wife served this to us after church one Sunday evening. She crumbled her cornbread into the bowl of soup while eating. I’ve tried this soup with cornbread crumbled inside or served on the side and both are great ways to serve this soup, although, I prefer crumbling the cornbread into the soup!
When Bev told me she got the recipe from a local Tea Room’s cookbook, I couldn’t believe it. I visited The Dove’s Nest several times when we lived in Cedar Hill, usually for lunch with friends and then we would browse their gift store which is very unique and has lots of quaint goodies, crafts and antiques. After receiving a couple of great recipes from Bev from The Dove’s Nest Cookbook, I decided to purchase my own copy. 🙂 Not that I needed ANOTHER cookbook, but it really has some great recipes.
This is a great soup to make if you have tons of squash coming out of your garden at the same time but, thankfully, squash is available year round these days so you can make this in the fall now that cooler weather has finally arrived, too. One of the nice things about this soup is the cumin gives it a really nice zip.
If you’re looking for a wonderful tasting soup to feed your family some evening, then consider a batch of The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup–especially with cornbread served either inside the soup or on the side! You will be in seventh heaven after a bowlful, and so will your family.
The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup is delicious.
We enjoy serving this soup with Gluten Free Honey Cornbread crumbled into it. Yum.
The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup is a great soup to make in the fall when nights are cooler and you enjoy hot soup to warm you up!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients to make The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup. I used my own homemade Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup instead of canned soups.
Place yellow squash, zucchini, onions and garlic in a large stock pot. Add chicken broth.
Boil until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally–about 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat.
Add evaporated milk or heavy whipping cream.
Add cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
To serve: ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with more cheese, bacon pieces and green onions.
The addition of cumin and oregano really provide nice flavor to this soup.
Here’s the recipe.
THE DOVE’S NEST FRESH SQUASH AND CHEESE SOUP
(Recipe adapted from Bev Simmons, when we attended Hillcrest Baptist Church, Cedar Hill, TX; source: adapted from The Dove’s Nest, Waxahachie, TX)
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 2 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup or homemade [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2014/09/16/gluten-free-condensed-cream-chicken-soup/” target=”_blank” title=”gluten free condensed cream of chicken soup”]Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup[/url]
- 4 cups evaporated milk or heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper, or more to taste
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Bacon bits, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Combine the zucchini, squash, onions, garlic and chicken stock in a large stockpot.
- Cook over high heat until the mixture begins to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil until the vegetables are fork tender; reduce heat.
- Stir in the soup, evaporated milk, 4 cups cheese, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the cheese is melted.
- Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Garnish with additional shredded cheese, bacon bits and green onions.
The Dove’s Nest Fresh Squash and Cheese Soup has lots of flavor from the cumin and bacon!
Crumble Gluten Free Honey Cornbread into your bowl and you’re good to go!