Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Gluten Free Living – 2014
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is a delightfully healthy soup that’s wonderful comfort food. Now that fall is here in North Texas it’s time to crank out the soup recipes. I have to admit I really enjoy soups and chowders. I eat them all year round – even here in hot, hot Texas! I especially enjoy them for lunches but I typically make a soup for dinner and then eat the leftovers for a few days afterward.
Here is a wonderful Tomato Basil Soup recipe for you. This one uses roasted vegetables to increase flavor including garlic, tomatoes, leeks, onions, and typical herbs like basil and parsley. Just a sprinkling of crushed red pepper adds needed heat to spice up the soup. I used Almond Breeze instead of regular whipping cream to make this a non-dairy treat. The result? Fantastic! Coconut milk will work just as well.
Soups have only in recent years become one of my favorite foods. Back in 2009 and 2010 I had to have gum grafts on both sides of my bottom teeth (the result of brushing my teeth too vigorously over the years). As a result, I had surgery on one side in December 2009 and on the other side in March 2010. I wasn’t allowed to eat fresh vegetables and fruits for months at a time so I started making soups and learned to enjoy them.
When I was growing up Mom never served soup. I’m not sure why. She told me her mom served soup before every lunch and dinner meal when she was growing up. They worked hard on their family farm and needed lots of food just to keep their weight up.
Anyway, I didn’t grow up eating soups. For the first 30 years of our marriage I rarely ever made soup. I made Clam Chowder infrequently but that was about it until five years ago. Now I make soup all the time and I comb through my pins on Pinterest frequently looking for new recipes to try.
Tomato Basil Soups are some of my favorite soup recipes. I have several you may want to try, including: La Madeleine’s Tomato-Basil Soup, Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup, Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, Vegan Roasted Tomato Soup, and Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup. All are a little bit different with distinctive tastes and textures. My new Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is a great recipe to try if you love Tomato-Basil Soups. It has the perfect blend of seasonings and is simple and easy to make, too. Give it a try and enjoy a cup of hot soup before a blazing fire this fall.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is so scrumptious. You will love this savorysoup.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is healthy and low calorie.
This tasty soup is hearty and satisfying and a great comfort food on cool winter nights.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Cut the tops off two or three heads of garlic. You can drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil if preferred.
Roast at 400 for 30 minutes.
Once garlic is cooked, peel and remove cooked garlic. Place in large Dutch oven.
Meanwhile, place sliced onion rings and sliced leeks in a glass baking dish or on a cookie sheet. Brush veggies with 1/4 cup olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Place roasted onions and leeks in Dutch oven.
Slice tomatoes and place in glass baking dish or cookie sheet. Brush with 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
NOTE: The veggies should all be roasting in the oven at the same time.
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Place roasted tomatoes in Dutch oven.
Add vegetable broth to all the veggies you’ve transferred to the Dutch oven or large stock pot.
Add crushed red pepper, chopped parsley and chopped basil.
Boil and simmer 15 minutes.
Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
Puree until you get the smooth texture that you desire.
Stir in Almond Breeze if desired. You can also substitute coconut milk or add no cream at all. Taste and add to your desire.
To serve: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with parsley and basil, as desired.
Herb Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is a great way to use up garden tomatoes and produce, too.
This delightful soup is perfect comfort food on cold winter nights when you want hot food to warm you up.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGAN ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 2 whole bulbs garlic, roasted
- 4-5 lbs. ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 leeks, green top removed, sliced
- ½ cup olive oil, divided use
- ¼ cup fresh, chopped parsley
- .75-oz. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.almondbreeze.com/” target=”_blank” title=”almond breeze”]Almond Breeze[/url]
- 1/3 to ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ to 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 32-oz. vegetable broth
- Cut the tops off garlic and roast in 400° oven for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing skin.
- Set garlic aside.
- Peel and slice onions, separate into rings and place in glass baking dish or cookie sheet.
- Cut the tops of the leeks and slice down.
- Place leeks next to onion rings in baking dish.
- Brush with ¼ cup olive oil.
- Sprinkle very generously with salt and pepper.
- Place in 400° oven and roast about 30 minutes.
- Slice tomatoes down and place in glass baking dish or cookie sheet.
- Brush with remaining ¼ cup olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in 400° oven and roast about 30 minutes.
- When veggies are roasted, place them with the garlic, vegetable broth, parsley and basil in a saucepot or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Puree mixture with an immersion blender.
- Check seasoning.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in Almond Breeze.
- To serve: ladle in bowls and garnish with more parsley or basil, as desired.
If you enjoy Tomato Basil Soups, give this vegan version a try. It’s healthy and low calorie for those trying to watch their weight.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is an amazing main dish supper. You and your family will savor every mouthful.