2013 – Gluten Free Living
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup is a wonderfully, tasty soup filled with lots of roasted tomatoes and other roasted vegetables like garlic, bell peppers, leeks, onions, mushrooms, celery and carrots, and seasoned with lots of fresh herbs.
I am a huge tomato lover–I like them raw, in salads, cooked in sauces, soups, and casseroles–anyway tomatoes can be made–I enjoy them. The roasting of the vegetables concentrates the taste and further flavors this delicious soup. This chunky vegetable soup has excellent taste and is even better reheated the second day.
I was wanting to make a chunky tomato and vegetable soup but not one that’s pureed like most tomato basil soups so I came up with this concoction a month or so ago. This is the second time I’ve made this great recipe. The first time I made it with coconut milk.
Yesterday, I forgot the coconut milk and thinned it with water instead. Coconut milk makes the texture a little creamier. For those who aren’t vegan you can use cream or even Greek yogurt to give it a creamier texture. I wanted to keep the calories lower so I used vegetable stock and water as the base.
If you’re looking for tasty, healthy, low calorie, gluten free, vegan recipes to assist your weight loss goals for this year, Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup is one of those that will do it.
When I originally posted this recipe in January 2013, I was still using an iPhone for a camera so the pictures weren’t very clear. I recently remade this recipe (January 2016) for a New Member’s Luncheon at our church. I made a double batch (as the pictures below will show) and I’m still getting people tell me (a month later) how much they loved this recipe.
One guy asked me what one of the veggies in the soup was. He thought it was artichokes but actually it was the leeks! I think fresh artichokes would probably taste wonderfully in this soup too, if you can get them. The main change I made to the recipe this time was placing all the roasted vegetables into the crockpot to finish cooking and blending the flavors.
I hope you give this recipe a try. It’s so scrumptious you will want bowl after bowl.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup is a wonderful, tasty soup with 10 different roasted vegetables. So yummy.
Lots of chunky roasted vegetables are in a delicious broth. This soup is rather easy to put together. Chopping the vegetables is the only labor-intensive part.
The fresh herbs give Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup such a great taste. It’s also healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. (I made a double batch of this soup so ingredients are twice as much).
Cut tops off garlic and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Remove garlic cloves from garlic heads and set aside.
Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Spread mushrooms, leeks, onions and celery on cookie sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil.
Roast at 400 for about 30-45 minutes.
Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Place sliced tomatoes on cookie sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Brush tomatoes with olive oil.
Roast at 400 for about 30-45 minutes.
Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Add sliced bell peppers and sliced carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Roast at 400 for about 30-45 minutes.
Roast veggies at 400 for about 45 minutes.
Pour the celery, onions, mushroom and tomatoes including all the juices and oils from the cookie sheet into a crock pot. Add garlic.
Add bell peppers, carrots and all the fresh chopped herbs.
Add vegetable broth.
Cover with lid and cook on high about 1-2 hours until all the veggies and herbs are cooked through.
This soup is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup is chocked full of fresh veggies and herbs.
Here’s a bowl of Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup. This is even better served the second day!
Here’s another close up. I used a lot of pepper in this soup which gave it a nice kick. If you like other vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash or green beans you can add those to this tasty soup recipe too. Roast at the same time with the other veggies.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGAN ROASTED TOMATO BASIL VEGETABLE SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 4-5 lbs. Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 whole bulb garlic, roasted
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. plus ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2.5-oz. fresh basil
- 2 leeks, green top removed, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced, or 4 large shallots, diced
- 8-oz. mushrooms, sliced, if desired
- 1 orange pepper, cut in strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1 qt. vegetable stock
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 2 cups additional vegetable stock, if needed
- Place tomatoes, leek, onion/scallions, mushrooms, celery, and carrots in a large mixing bowl or on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons salt and 1 tbsp. pepper (more of each if desired).
- Drizzle 1/3 to ½ cup olive oil over top.
- Stir to combine or just lay out on cookie sheets.
- Spread all the vegetables onto one or two large cookie sheets that have been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
- Roast vegetables in a 400° oven about 30-45 minutes.
- (Meanwhile, cut the tops off the garlic bulb and place in a pan.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil over top.
- Roast the garlic at the same time as the vegetables.
- Once vegetables are done place in large stockpot (or crockpot, see below), with all the drippings from the pan.
- Add seasonings and one quart vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until seasonings blend about 30 minutes.
- Stir in additional vegetable stock, if desired.
- Check seasonings.
- Add more basil if desired.
This is a great soup for cold winter nights. It goes down so well!
There are lots of delicious tomatoes, leeks, bell peppers, carrots and celery in every bite.
Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Vegetable Soup is healthy and kid-friendly. What more could you ask for?
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!