Teresa’s Bake Shop – Christmas Cookie Extravaganza – 2014
Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies have every taste you desire in a Christmas cookie–pumpkin, cranberries, cinnamon, other spices like ginger, cloves and pumpkin pie spice plus a delightfully soft texture. Then the cookies are iced with a lovely cinnamon buttercream frosting. Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies are totally insane–really. These cookies rock. I love Pumpkin Cookies anyway and these sure are special.
I knew I wanted to bake some kind of Pumpkin Cookie for Christmas this year, but I didn’t want to make anything I’ve made previously. I kept thinking about making a Pumpkin Cranberry Bread and then it dawned on me–why not make a Pumpkin Cranberry Cookie instead. I started with my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies recipe, changed things up a little bit, added cranberries, and then a creamy buttercream frosting so the cookies wouldn’t be too tart by using fresh rather than dried cranberries. I loved the way these cookies turned out.
These enjoyable cookies will be going in our Christmas cookie baskets this year for our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza. They’re due to be shipped out and delivered in a couple of weeks. I’ve stored them in the freezer until it’s time to pack everything up. You want to know something funny?
I found one of my BEST Sugar Cookies at the bottom of my freezer when I cleaned everything out to fill our freezer with cookies this year. It had fallen out of a large zip lock freezer bag somehow. It was still sealed in it’s individually wrapped polyurethane bag. John ate it yesterday and said that even after a YEAR in the freezer, the cookie tasted like it had just been baked a few days ago! That’s amazing. I would have figured that it would have been dried out by now!
Everyone always raves over our cookies each year and love sorting through their buckets or tins trying to figure out what each cookie is. Well, I’ve made it easier for everyone this year. I labeled all the cookies making it easier for our friends and family to cross-reference the cookie with the recipe ingredients to make sure they’re not allergic to anything.
If you’re looking for a dynamite cookie to include in your holiday baking this year, I highly recommend Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies. Yes, I am a sucker for cookies with icing, but these are great! Especially if you enjoy pumpkin, spices, cranberries and cinnamon frosting. All the flavors work so well together. Give Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies a try. I warn you in advance, relieve yourself immediately of any idea that you’re going to stop at just one. These cookies are addictive and you will certainly want more than one. Enjoy.
Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies are wonderfully festive for the holidays.
The cinnamon icing makes these cookies special.
Cranberries add a little tartness to these cookies, but the icing puts the sweet flavor back into them.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients, plus cranberries.
Place brown sugar, pumpkin, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and pumpkin pie spice in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla.
Mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add washed and dried fresh cranberries.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine.
Spray baking sheets with cooking spray. Use a one-quarter cup ice cream scoop to scoop dough and place on cookie sheets.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until done. These cookies are whoppers and I was baking 5 racks of cookies at a time so my cookies may have taken longer than if you only bake one rack at a time. Allow cookies to cool completely on a cookie rack.
While cookies are baking and cooling, make icing. I used these ingredients to make the icing.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add cinnamon, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Add heavy whipping cream–NOT MILK! Milk will not provide the correct consistency. It will make the icing too soft and it will end up a goopy mess.
Combine ingredients with a whisk or electric mixer until smooth.
Spread icing on top of each cookie.
Add sprinkles or colored sugar, if desired. I spread the sprinkles on top of the icing right afterward and then shook the excess sprinkles off into a bowl. After a few minutes the icing will harden slightly and the sprinkles with adhere firmly to the icing.
Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies will have you drooling in no time!
Here’s the recipe.
PUMPKIN CRANBERRY COOKIES
(Recipe inspired from my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies recipe)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 15-oz. can [url href=”http://www.libbys.com/our-products” target=”_blank” title=”libby’s pumpkin”]Libby’s[/url] solid pack pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal unbleached flour”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 12-oz. pkg. fresh [url href=”http://www.oceanspray.com/” target=”_blank” title=”ocean spray”]OceanSpray[/url] cranberries (about 3 cups)
- [b]CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM ICING:[/b]
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine oil, brown sugar, pumpkin, eggs, salt, baking powder, baking soda, teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix well with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the flour and cranberries.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- With a one-quarter cup ice cream scoop, drop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Allow cookies to cool before topping with icing.
- Mix ingredients with an electric mixer or whisk until well combined.
- Spread over cooled cookies.
Everyone in your family will want Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies to be on your Christmas cookie baking list!
These cute cookies have sprinkles, jimmies and colored sugar on top!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!