Oh, my goodness. Do I have a culinary delight for you! Philly Cheesesteak Sliders. Yes, yes, and yes! These sliders are fantastic. Lean, tender beef is sauteed with onions, mushrooms and red and green bell peppers. Then it’s added to King’s Hawaiian Rolls with slices of provolone cheese on the top and bottom of the meat layer. Then the whole is brushed with fresh garlic and melted butter. Once the sliders are baked, they just disappear effortlessly, tasting so succulent and delectable you will be craving these for every Saturday or Sunday lunch!
I made a couple of batches of Philly Cheesesteak Sliders last month. The first batch I used the garlic and melted butter, the second batch I left it off. Both were delicious. I made these four a houseful of guests on what would be our last party in our house before we packed up and moved. We had already sold our house and were waiting for the option period to end for the buyers who were buying our buyer’s house.
Yes, we waited to get through two option periods so that we were not packing up prematurely. Anyway, from that day forward we were into full packing and moving mode for three solid weeks. It was exhausting. Now, a couple of weeks after relocating to a rental house until our home is built, we have finally caught up on rest and are getting back to a “normal” schedule again. Yay.
The light is much different here in our rental house than it was in our previous home. I can actually take pictures inside without them looking too badly. We have approximately six months before we move into our new home and can’t wait. We’ve met many of our neighbors there already and look forward to moving in (when the temperatures are much cooler in Texas than they are now!)
Now that we are finally settled, I can get back to what I enjoy doing most. Cooking! Philly Cheesesteak Sliders are so good. I do recommend, however, that you get a very lean and tender cut of meat, then saute it, even adding water if necessary, to make sure the meat is not tough when you’re ready to use it. I used eye of round, cut in thin strips on the diagonal, and cooked it about 30 minutes (adding water), until it was fork tender. There’s nothing worse than biting into a sandwich and the meat is tough and unchewable! 🙁
While the recipe I include here makes two large 9×13″ dishes (24 sliders), you can easily halve this recipe. I cooked them up and used one batch for this party, and served the remainder the next day (reheating them). The flavors are wonderful, but you can always amp up the taste with salt, pepper and other spices, if desired. This is a great recipe to make up ahead of time and then assemble the sandwiches right before you plan to bake them. (If you assemble them and do not bake them immediately you will probably end up with soggy bread).
If you’re looking for the next best slider recipe, than give my Philly Cheesesteak Sliders a try. They are amazing. You and your tailgating friends will surely agree. Consider trying them out this football season! And save one for me. 🙂
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders are amazing.
If you love Philadephia Cheesesteak Hoagies or sub sandwiches, you’ll love Philly Cheesesteak Sliders.
Each slider is loaded with beef, provolone cheese, mushrooms, bell peppers and sandwiched between King’s Hawaiian Rolls!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. While you can use mayo on the rolls, I decided not to use it on this recipe.
Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until tender.
Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
To another saucepan add remaining olive oil. Saute beef strips until browned on both sides. Add a little water if necessary, cover with lid and continue simmering over low to medium heat until beef is tender. (I cooked mine 30 minutes). Combine beef with veggies. If desired, season with salt, pepper or other herbs and spices.
Slice Hawaiian rolls in half. Cut provolone cheese in half. Take a half slice and fold it in half making quarters. Place a half cheese slice on top of each bottom half of the rolls.
Spread beef mixture amply over top of each roll. (I spread it between the two dishes). Top with another half piece of provolone cheese folded in half again so it resembles quarters.
Top with the top half of the Hawaiian rolls. Melt butter and add garlic. Brush mixture over top of each roll. Cover with foil.
Bake sliders, covered, at 350 for about 25 minutes or until cheese melts.
Serve Philly Cheesesteak Sliders with your favorite appetizers.
Here’s the recipe.
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SLIDERS
(My own concoction)
- 1 ¾ lb. eye of round beef, sliced across the grain, cut in very thin strips
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 16-oz. fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 24 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 12-pkgs. [url href=”http://www.kingshawaiian.com/” target=”_blank”]King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls[/url]
- water, if needed
- Place a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions, peppers and mushrooms and sauté until veggies are softened.
- Place remaining olive oil in another large skillet.
- Sauté beef with a lid, covered, until beef cooks through and is no longer tough.
- (This may take 30 minutes or so, and you may have to keep adding additional water as the liquid evaporates.)
- Once beef is fork tender, combine beef with veggies.
- Slice sweet rolls in half.
- Divide the 24 sweet rolls between two 9×13” greased glass baking dishes.
- Place half of a provolone cheese slice on top of each roll. (I folded the halves in half).
- Spread with beef/veggie between the two dishes.
- Top with remaining provolone halves, then the top part of the Hawaiian sweet roll.
- Melt butter and add remaining garlic.
- Brush melted butter mixture over top of each roll.
- Cover each dish with foil and bake at 350° for about 25 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes to lightly brown the tops of the rolls.
Every bite of Philly Cheesesteak Sliders is succulent and amazing.
Our guests loved these sliders.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B000VXBRK8,B00HMQT556,B01CK9L23C’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’143ace5d-23aa-11e7-b102-dfdee646c61c’]