Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples is sensational! Oh, I do love it when a new recipe comes together! I’ve been looking for vegan recipes for the past week or two without grains or sugar. This particular one had brown sugar originally so I was trying to figure out a way to make it have the sweetness naturally without sweeteners. I think this recipe achieved that goal amazingly. I love how this delicious and tasty soup turned out.
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples healthy recipe is low calorie, vegan and gluten free, and not difficult to make. The whole recipe from start to finish only takes about an hour and you have an amazing main dish ready for your family. It has amazing flavors due to the ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon added.
The original recipe is inspired from Ashley Adams Skabar at About.com posted in their dairy free section. I’ve modified it considerably but my basic recipe comes from here. Instead of using olive oil I decided to try coconut oil instead.
Instead of adding either apples or pears I added both because I eliminated the brown sugar. I also increased the cinnamon substantially to give it a sweet taste without sugar or any other kind of sweeteners. Instead of using part water I used all vegetable broth, and instead of using almond breeze I used all coconut milk. I also served it with roasted pumpkin seeds which gave it a nice crunch. I think you will love this fabulous vegan pumpkin soup recipe.
When I originally posted this tasty soup recipe in October 2012, I was still taking pictures with an iPhone 3. My pictures were blurry, orangy, and otherwise regrettable. 🙁 I’ve been systematically going back through all my first year blog recipes so I can retake the pictures and this one came up for remake in March 2015.
We had friends who had a leap year baby and so I sent a batch of this delectable soup, Tossed Salad with homemade Thousand Island Dressing and Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Almond Bread. They have a toddler who needs to stay away from gluten and corn, so I came up with this menu for them. They absolutely loved the soup scraping it down to the last drop! You’ll see why if you make up a batch for yourself. It’s so delicious you’ll never realize it’s also healthy!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples has such a wonderful smooth texture and taste. I really love this recipe!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples can be garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds, cayenne pepper, cinnamon or even chopped herbs like thyme and marjoram.
I garnished my soup with apples and dry-roasted pumpkin seeds.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. The glass jar with the blue lid contains coconut oil.
Melt coconut oil over low to medium heat in Dutch oven or large stock pot. Add onions and a leek.
Add unpeeled diced pears, unpeeled, diced apples, minced garlic, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Stir all the ingredients together and sauté until apples and pears are softened.
Add vegetable broth.
Add pumpkin and coconut milk. Check seasoning. Add more of what you think the soup needs.
Puree mixture with an immersion blender or put mixture in a blender and puree in batches until the entirety is done.
I purchased salted, dry-roasted pumpkin seeds, but you can also roast raw pumpkin seeds.
If you want pumpkin seeds as a garnish, place them in a roasting pan and roast about 5-10 minutes at 350. The seeds will actually start popping after about 7 minutes. Pat dry the excess oil from the pumpkin seeds before using as a garnish.
Toasted pumpkin seeds make a fantastic garnish on top.
This soup is so wonderful, you will want to make this again and again.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGAN PUMPKIN SOUP WITH LEEKS, PEARS AND APPLES
(Recipe inspired from Ashley Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic from a jar
- 1 medium-sized leek, white parts only, chopped
- 1 cup unpeeled, chopped apple (I used 2)
- 3 pears, unpeeled, diced
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 32-ounce can low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cayenne, for garnishing, if desired
- Fresh herbs, such as dill, thyme, marjoram or parsley, for garnish
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- In a medium-large stock pot (3-5 quarts), heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and leek, and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the pears, apples, garlic, spices and salt, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly, until the pears and apples are softened.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the apple pieces are fork tender.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, then the coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, to desired temperature.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, and herbs of your choice.
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan.
I loved this sumptuous and amazing pumpkin soup recipe. I hope you will too!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Leeks, Pears and Apples is comfort food at its finest!