Zucchini Parmesan Crisps are terrific. I saw a picture of this great looking recipe on FaceBook the other day and decided I needed to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did. It’s so quick and easy, yet delicious. Zucchini is tossed with olive oil then dredged in a mixture of Panko Italian breadcrumbs and REAL Parmesan cheese (not the fake stuff out of a can) and seasonings, then it’s roasted in the oven. Y-U-M-M-Y!!!!
If you’re trying to use up garden zucchini, or you have an abundance from your CSA deliveries, then you ought to consider this easy side dish to serve along any kind of main dish entree, pasta, Tex-Mex or even on Meatless Mondays! You can have Zucchini Parmesan Crisps oven ready for in about 5 minutes. No kidding!
If you enjoy zucchini you will love this recipe. It’s also a great way to get your kids to eat their vegetables! Plus, it’s healthy and low calorie. Surely a win-win for almost anyone.
I’ve adapted the recipe somewhat since there didn’t seem to be quite enough crumb mixture to support 2 medium-sized zucchini, but the basic concept for this recipe comes from Emily Berkman at Emily’s Weight Loss Support on FaceBook. Give this recipe a try sometime. You’ll be so glad you did.
When I originally posted this recipe in April 2013 it was about a month before I started taking pictures with my new Canon camera. Even though this is a fabulous recipe it deserved some better pictures than the ones I took with my iPhone. I recently remade this recipe for dinner (May 2015) along with a tasty chicken recipe. I could have eaten all the zucchini myself! It’s wonderful.
Don’t Zucchini Parmesan Crisps look scrumptious?
Italian Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese give this roasted vegetable its wonderful flavors.
This close up shows the texture of Zucchini Parmesan Crisps.
I served Zucchini Parmesan Crisps with Pan Roasted Herbed Chicken.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Mix Panko bread crumbs and REAL parmesan cheese on a plate. Set aside.
Pour olive oil into a bowl. Dip zucchini slices into bowl to coat.
Dip zucchini slices in bread crumb mixture. Make sure both sides get plenty of bread crumb mixture. I had to pat down the breadcrumbs and cheese into the zucchini to make it adhere better.
Place zucchini rounds on top of parchment paper and sprinkle with any remaining breadcrumb mixture.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or 400 for 22-27 minutes.
Don’t these look yummy? Zucchini Parmesan Crisps are so quick and easy to make up. You can have this oven ready in about 5 minutes! Yay!
Zucchini Parmesan Crisps will have you salivating in no time.
Here’s the recipe.
ZUCCHINI PARMESAN CRISPS
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced in 1/8” slices
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 to ½ cup Kikkoman Italian or regular Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 to ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Spray foil or paper with olive oil cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini in ¼” rounds.
- Toss zucchini with olive oil in bowl, coating well.
- (I actually dredged the zucchini pieces in the olive oil that sunk to the bottom of the bowl!)
- Combine Italian Panko breadcrumbs, shredded Parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the can!), salt and pepper on a plate.
- Place zucchini chips on plate and press coating on both sides of zucchini chips so coating adheres to the zucchini.
- Do your best to coat zucchini slices well.
- Place the rounds in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over top of the rounds.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until light golden brown. (See note).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.
This is a great way to use up excess zucchini during the summer season.
Zucchini Parmesan Crisps are so tasty! Come join me for a few!
Zucchini Parmesan Crisps is a great side dish for holidays, company dinners and potlucks, too.