2013 – Gluten Free Living
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is a healthy comfort food I’m sure you’ll enjoy. I was really craving a wholesome dish made from sweet potatoes and lentils last week. This one is filled with sweet potatoes, lentils, carrots, celery, leeks, onion and seasoned with thyme, oregano and parsley. It’s made creamy with half-and-half or cream. It’s one of those foods that’s terrific to make up during cool winter nights. It warms you up with a lot less calories than some meals.
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is healthy, low calorie, gluten free, and can easily be made vegan by substituting coconut milk for the half-and-half. I soaked the lentils about an hour before making up this stew. This stew-like chowder is very hearty and satisfying and will fill you up quickly!
For those of you trying to find healthy ways to eat without added sugar, excessively refined and processed ingredients thrown in, MSG or other poisonous fillers and “natural seasonings” consider trying out this tasty recipe. It’s healthy without sacrificing texture or flavor. 🙂
When I initially published this recipe in May 2013, I felt the recipe had too many different seasonings competing together. I decided to remake the recipe (January 2018) for lunch with a friend. This time I took out all the sweet spices and everything that would cause it to be too spicy. I wanted something simpler that would work together better. I stayed with parsley and thyme (my two favorite herbs), and added oregano for a little bit more flavor. The recipe was much simpler this way, but it worked a lot better.
If you’re looking for a terrific vegetarian stew, then give Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew a try. It’s delicious without being overpowering. Plus, it’s healthy, lower calorie and clean eating.
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is a delicious, healthy alternative to soup out of the can!
This recipe is stocked with lots of vegetables.
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and easily vegan by substituting coconut milk for the half-and-half in the recipe.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
I soaked the lentils for about an hour. While I prefer soaking them overnight, even a few hours is good to release all the phythates. That way the lentils are more easily digested. Set aside.
Pour olive oil into a stock pot. Add diced onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and garlic from a jar.
Combine ingredients and continue sautéing.
Add sweet potatoes cut in large cubes and vegetable stock. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over low to medium heat for about 30 minutes.
Add drained lentils.
Stir to combine and cook over low to medium heat for about 20-30 minutes until sweet potatoes and lentils are cooked through.
Turn down heat. Add half-and-half or coconut milk if you prefer a creamy taste without dairy.
Stir to combine and serve.
Here I’ve ladled the Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew into bowls.
This tasty stew is so healthy, fortifying and satisfying. While the spices are kept simple, the result is delicious! This recipe makes a LOT! You can easily get 12-14 servings out of this recipe. Cut the recipe in half if you don’t want leftovers.
Here’s the recipe.
CREAMY SWEET POTATO LENTIL STEW
(My own concoction)
- 2 cups dry brown lentils, soaked in water overnight
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut in large dice
- 2 large ribs celery, sliced on the diagonal, plus about ½ cup celery leaves
- 16-oz. carrot chips or 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic from a jar
- 2 tsp. ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 32-oz. vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup EACH green, yellow, red, and orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 to ½ cup fresh cilantro, to taste
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.chobani.com/” target=”_blank” title=”chobani”]Chobani [/url]plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (or coconut milk if vegan)
- Soak lentils in water for one to two hours or even overnight.
- Splash olive oil in large Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté a minute or two.
- Add cumin, fresh ginger, allspice, cinnamon, celery, carrot chips and bell peppers.
- Continue sautéing a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, turmeric and thyme.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add drained lentils.
- Stir to combine and simmer until vegetables are thoroughly cooked–at least 20-30 minutes or so until lentils are tender.
- Add cilantro.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Greek yogurt or coconut milk and serve.
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is terrific on cold winter nights with a slab of bread.
Creamy Sweet Potato Lentil Stew is a healthy and delicious way to get your veggies!
This appetizing stew is also great heated up for leftovers. Here I’ve sprinkled fresh thyme over top. Yummy!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!