Hearty Bean Soup
Hearty Bean Soup is one of those treasures to enjoy during the cold, winter season, especially if you add a loaf of homemade bread or rolls. This soup is packed full with eight different kinds of canned beans. It has a little heat from diced green chilies and flavoring from Liquid Smoke, Worcestershire Sauce and apple cider vinegar.
This recipe can be made on top of the stove (if you use a very large stockpot) or in the crockpot (or perhaps two crockpots!) Since each batch makes 20 servings, it’s great if you’re cooking for a crowd. If you have a tailgating party coming up, this is a great entree for that too. The recipe actually freezes extremely well too, so you can make up a big batch and put the remainder in freezer containers individually or in bulk–whatever is convenient for you.
If soup or chili is your comfort food of choice, Hearty Bean Soup is just up your alley. Add a little cheese on top–or not–whatever you prefer. We found this soup substantial and filling along with tasting great. 🙂 Plus, you get a good bit of veggies in every bite. Enjoy.
Hearty Bean Soup is a great recipe when cooking for a crowd!
This soup is good with cheddar cheese sprinkled over top too.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Brown beef in a skillet or in a VERY LARGE STOCK POT! I used chili beef, but you can use regular lean ground beef.
Use a hamburger chopper to cut the meat down into small pieces while frying.
Cook beef until no longer pink.
If using crockpots, transfer the beef mixture to two different crockpots. It won’t fit in a single crockpot. Otherwise, transfer mixture from skillet to a very large stockpot.
Add diced onion, garlic, bell pepper and canned petite tomatoes. (If using two crockpots, put only half of the ingredients in each crockpot).
Add chili beans, baked beans and diced green chilies.
Add black beans, garbanzo beans, Great Northern Beans, dark red kidney beans, navy beans and cannellini beans.
Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, dried parsley, bay leaves and apple cider vinegar.
Add water, as desired. I added two quarts, but if you want it more like chili, then decrease the water. Cover with lid and cook over low to medium heat abbot 30-45 minutes on stove top. For crockpots: cook on low about 3 hours and on high about an hour and a half.
Remove bay leaves before serving.
Hearty Bean Soup is also tasty with Cotija cheese sprinkled over top.
This tasty and delicious soup is chocked full of beans!
Hearty Bean Soup is also good with a sprinkle of oregano leaves.
Here’s the recipe.
HEARTY BEAN SOUP
(My own concoction)
Hearty Bean Soup
- 2 large crockpots with lids or one huge stock pot with lid
- 1 extra large skillet to fry beef (if using crockpots)
- 1 hamburger chopper
- 1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
- 1 can opener
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 3 lbs. chili beef crumbled
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper diced (or use any color)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15-oz. cans petite diced tomatoes with onion, celery and green pepper
- 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained (chickpeas)
- 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can chili beans
- 28 oz. can maple bacon baked beans
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 quarts water or as needed
- Brown beef in a skillet or very large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Use a hamburger chopper to cut meat down in small pieces while frying.
- Drain any grease.
- If cooking beef in skillet, transfer to large stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low to medium heat for 30-45 minutes, until flavors mingle.
- Remove bay leaves and discard before serving.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
This is a great recipe to make if you want to serve a crowd–like at a tailgating party. If you want it thicker like chili, just decrease the amount of water in the recipe.
Hearty Bean Soup has wonderful flavors since it’s flavored with Liquid Smoke and Worcestershire Sauce.
Hearty Bean Soup is terrific comfort food for cold, winter nights.