White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs is simply amazing. The combination of flavors and herbs is so succulent that it is hard to stop eating mouthful after mouthful! This potato dish a not only a great option as a side dish but I really enjoy it for breakfast, too. If you enjoy cooking with fresh herbs, this dish employs lots of them. While you can use dried if that’s all you have, I highly encourage using fresh herbs if you can find them.
I was really craving some kind of potato and sweet potato combo today and threw together this concoction which turned out fabulously. This healthy, low-calorie, vegan dish is bursting with flavor. I used lots of fresh herbs: parsley, sage, chives, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and dill, along with salt and pepper to season the dish. Plus there’s an assortment of veggies that also enhance the potatoes. I cooked this in a little bit of coconut oil, but olive oil would probably work just as well.
This tasty side dish turned out so wonderfully it is really worth giving a try if you are looking for healthy alternatives for potato or sweet potato side dishes. This would work splendidly paired with chicken, pork, or even fish, in my opinion. I loved this amazing dish and I hope you’ll like it too.
When I initially posted this recipe back in September 2012, the pictures were done with an iPhone which didn’t have a very good resolution. That was the problem with most of my first year blog pictures until I upgraded to a Canon in 2013.
I’ve been remaking all these old first-year blog recipes to get better pictures and recently came across this one (December 2015). I upgraded the recipe a little, changed out and added different herbs, and even made it as a base for a hash which was spectacular. It’s a great recipe. I hope you give it a try.
White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs is a tasty side dish that’s especially great for a country breakfast.
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, green onions, leeks, miniature bell peppers with lots of delicious herbs seasoning the whole dish make for one amazing side dish.
This simple dish is packed full of flavor.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. The glass jar contains coconut oil.
Place coconut oil in a large skillet. Add one sliced leek and 3 sliced green onions. Saute a few minutes.
Add multi-colored bell peppers and saute an additional minute or two.
Add sweet potato, russet potato cubes and garlic. Stir to combine.
Add thyme, chives, marjoram, dill weed, sage, rosemary, parsley, salt, and pepper. I added a little bit of water to the pan to ensure the veggies wouldn’t stick. You can also add additional coconut oil if you prefer that.
Cover the vegetables with a lid. Saute the veggies over a low heat for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
This potato scramble turned out really succulent and mouth-watering.
You may end up liking this little dish as much as I did!
Here’s the recipe.
WHITE AND SWEET POTATO SCRAMBLE WITH FRESH HERBS
(My own concoction)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4-5 tbsp. coconut oil
- approximately 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup diced bell peppers, assorted colors (I used orange, green and red)
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic from a jar
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced chives
- 1 tbsp. fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh dill
- 1 tsp. fresh minced rosemary
- 2 large sage leaves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
- ½ tsp. salt, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper, or more to taste
- Melt coconut oil over low to medium heat in large skillet.
- Add leek and green onions and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add bell peppers.
- Sauté a minute or two.
- Add sweet potatoes, potatoes, and garlic.
- Sauté about 5 minutes, adding water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add thyme, dill, marjoram, rosemary, parsley, sage, chives, salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet making sure there is a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan so veggies don’t stick.
- Simmer over low heat until potatoes are cooked completely through stirring occasionally.
- This may take 20-30 minutes or so.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
The garlic, leeks, onions, and peppers made this dish incredibly flavorful. White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs is a great side dish to complement bacon and eggs for breakfast.
White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs is healthy, low calorie, vegan and gluten free!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!