I was really craving some kind of potato and sweet potato combo today and threw together this concoction which turned out fabulously. This healthy, low-calorie, vegan dish is bursting with flavor. I used lots of fresh herbs: parsley, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, and dill, along with salt and pepper to season the dish. Plus there’s an assortment of veggies that also enhance the potatoes. I cooked this in a little bit of coconut oil, but olive oil would probably work just as well.
This tasty side dish turned out so wonderfully it is really worth giving a try if you are looking for healthy alternatives for potato or sweet potato side dishes. This would work splendidly paired with chicken, pork, or even fish, in my opinion. It’s also a great breakfast option. I loved this amazing dish and I hope you’ll like it too.
White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs is a tasty side dish that’s especially great for a country breakfast.
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, green onions, leeks, miniature bell peppers with lots of delicious herbs seasoning the whole dish. Yum, yum.
Here’s what I did.
Place coconut oil in a large skillet. I used a couple of tablespoons here and added a couple more later. Add one sliced leek. Add 3 sliced green onions and about 1/2 cup of miniature peppers or diced bell pepper. Multiple colors makes this dish very eye appealing.
Add sweet potato and russet potato cubes. I added a couple more tablespoonfuls of coconut oil around this time to make sure the contents didn’t stick to the pan.
Add thyme, dill weed, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper and minced garlic from a jar.
Add a cup of water and cover the vegetables with a lid. Saute the veggies over a low heat for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
Here’s a serving of the potato scramble with extra salt and pepper sprinkled on top. This potato scramble turned out really succulent and mouth-watering. You may end up liking this little dish as much as I did!
Here’s the recipe.
WHITE AND SWEET POTATO SCRAMBLE WITH FRESH HERBS
(My own concoction)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 4-5 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ to ⅔ cup sliced miniature bell peppers, assorted colors (I used miniature but regular bell peppers will work)
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic from a jar
- fresh thyme – leaves from at least 20 sticks
- fresh dill – about 1 tsp.
- fresh parsley – at least ¼ cup
- fresh cilantro – at least ¼ cup
- fresh rosemary – about ¼ tsp. (I would have used more if I’d had it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt coconut oil over low to medium heat in large skillet.
- Add leek and green onions and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add sliced peppers – I like the different colors so I used yellow, orange and red miniature bell peppers.
- Sauté a minute or two.
- Add sweet potatoes, potatoes, and garlic.
- Sauté about 5 minutes adding a cup of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add thyme, dill, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet making sure there is a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan so veggies don’t stick. Simmer over low heat until potatoes are cooked completely through.
- This may take 30 minutes or so.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
The garlic, leeks, onions, and peppers made this dish incredibly flavorful. This is a great side dish to complement bacon and eggs for breakfast.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!