2013 – Gluten Free Living
Chili Con Carne has always been my favorite chili recipe! It’s filled with lots of plump tomatoes, kidney beans, ground round or sirloin, peppers, onions and, yeah, chili powder! I’ve always preferred a more tomatoey chili rather than one that’s mostly meat and beans. This recipe delivers! It has just enough heat so that you know you’re eating chili but it’s not like eating those 5-Alarm Chilies!
I never grew up eating chili. My mom never made it because my dad refused to eat anything with tomatoes! So I was an adult before I actually ever tasted chili. I found this recipe in a magazine shortly after we were married and it’s always been my go-to recipe for chili ever since.
I can’t remember where I actually found the recipe, but I’ve been making it since the early 1980s. My husband actually prefers his chili recipes with less tomatoes and more heat! He usually makes his chili recipe every New Year’s Day as that’s been a family tradition for years. His family always served their chili over rice, but I’ve never liked mine that way. I prefer serving and eating it with cornbread.
If you’re looking for a wonderful and easy chili recipe that can be ready to eat in about an hour and 15 minutes, then check out this sumptuous Chili Con Carne recipe. This thick and chunky chili is hearty, satisfying, delicious and gluten free.
This is my favorite Chili Con Carne recipe.
Here’s a close up so you can see the texture of this delicious chili.
You can serve Chili Con Carne with grated cheddar cheese on top. I enjoy my chili with Mexican Cornbread, but you can also serve this over rice.
Here’s what I did.
Brown ground round or sirloin in a large Dutch oven. Drain beef if necessary.
Add garlic, onions, and green peppers.
Add chili powder, oregano and basil.
Stir to combine and make sure veggies are sauteed a few minutes. Add whole tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
Stir to combine. Cover and simmer until flavors are blended about 40 minutes.
Add kidney beans, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Heat through another 10 minutes.
I’ve always loved this Chili Con Carne recipe. It’s the first recipe I ever got for chili and it’s always been my favorite way to make it.
Chili Con Carne is not overly hot so that you can’t swallow it! But it does have plenty of zip!
My husband likes his chili served over rice. While I prefer mine with cornbread crumbled inside. 🙂
Garnish with cheddar cheese if you desire.
Here’s the recipe.
CHILI CON CARNE
(Recipe adapted from a magazine, circa early 1980s)
- 2 ½ lbs. ground chuck (I used ground sirloin)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. basil
- 6-oz. can Hunt’s tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 8-oz. cans Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 2 16-oz. cans Del Monte whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 16-oz. cans Bush’s kidney beans, drained
- cheddar cheese for garnish, if desired
- hot, cooked rice, if desired
- In Dutch oven or chili kettle over medium heat, sauté beef stirring occasionally until red color disappears.
- Keep ground beef in small chunks.
- Pour off fat.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, chili powder, oregano, basil; mix well.
- Cook, stirring, until onion and green pepper are tender—about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, salt, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste; mix well.
- Bring to boiling, breaking up tomatoes with a fork.
- Simmer slowly, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors are blended—about 40 minutes.
- Add beans; simmer, covered, 10 minutes, or until hot.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese if desired.
- Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.
Chili Con Carne is a wonderful main dish for cool winter nights!
Here’s another close up so you can see all the tasty ingredients in this chili. This goes down so well with homemade cornbread!
I sure enjoy all the tomatoes, meat, and kidney beans in this recipe!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B000N501BK,B011N5YFK6,B01M730S98′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c3d0054b-307b-11e7-93c5-9fe1fb2fc187′]