Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting are amazing. Okay, I have to admit I love frosting–on cookies, cakes, brownies–anything. But Browned Butter Frosting is in a league all of it’s own. And these Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting are amazing. The Banana Bread Bars are filled with bananas and walnuts, and after browning the butter and making the frosting I sprinkled more walnuts on top for additional flavor and texture. They turned out heavenly. On top of that it’s a great way to use overripe bananas.
Last month John over bought bananas and I looked high and low trying to find recipes to use up about 18 overripe bananas. I made up a batch of Chunky Monkey Blondies, Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars, Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting, Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins and Banana Blondies. All of them were wonderful, although I have to admit I am partial to any recipe with frosting. 🙂
If you are looking for a delicious blondie to serve your family over the hot summer days ahead, then go ahead and pull this recipe out of the bag and share it with those you love. Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting will surely make you (and them) salivate. And that’s not such a bad thing. 🙂
Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting are so scrumptious you may find them addictive!
Having chopped walnuts in the batter as well as the icing adds such great texture to these bars.
Try Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting for your next holiday potluck or gathering.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the bars.
Mix butter, sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda, vanilla and sour cream (or Greek yogurt) with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add bananas and walnuts.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine.
Spoon batter into a greased 9×13″ baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
I used these ingredients to make the frosting.
Place butter in a saucepan and bring to boiling and slightly browned. Remove from heat.
Add vanilla, half-and-half and powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
Spread frosting over cooled bars. Sprinkle with nuts. Cut into bars.
Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting make great bars for tailgating parties.
These dessert bars are also great for any summer backyard barbecue.
Here’s the recipe.
BANANA BREAD BARS WITH BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING
(Recipe adapted from My Life of Travels and Adventures)
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream (I used ½ cup sour cream and ½ cup Greek yogurt)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup finely diced walnuts[br]
- [b]BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:[/b][br]
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk or half-and-half
- ¼ to 1/3 cup finely diced walnuts for garnish, if desired
- Mix sugar, butter, sour cream (Greek yogurt), eggs, vanilla, salt and baking soda with an electric mixer until smooth and well mixed.
- Add flour, bananas and walnuts.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Spray a 9×13” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread banana bread mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes before frosting with icing. [br]
- Heat the butter until boiling and slightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, powdered sugar and half-and-half and stir well to combine and mixture is smooth.
- Spread over top of warm Banana Bread Bars.
- Sprinkle finely diced walnuts over top for garnish, if desired.
- Pat the walnuts down into the icing very gently.
- Allow mixture to cool completely before cutting into bars.
I loved the taste of these delectable bars.
Place Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Frosting on your next summer menu!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes: