Gluten Free Living – 2016
Muffins are one of my favorite foods to eat and Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins allow me to eat one of my favorite foods without guilt! I used clean eating ingredients including gluten free flour and honey instead of sugar. They’re also sweetened with ripe bananas–but overripe would be even better! These are great muffins for holiday breakfasts, especially if you have family members that are trying to watch what they eat.
Right before we finally closed on our new home, I made up several batches of homemade muffins that were all gluten free and sugar free. This was the first batch. I started with one of my regular muffin recipes, but substituted gluten free baking and pancake mix for the flour. Even though I used gluten free flour, the recipe turned out terrific.
If you have health concerns like I do but want a sweet treat every now and then, give Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins a try. Many have issues with sugar and gluten spiking your blood sugar levels, causing excessive swelling in joints, or even hindering your sleep at night, so this is a great way to enjoy bread without those side effects.
I baked the muffins in advance and then froze them in plastic containers for a couple of months. Then I would take them out of the freezer one at a time and microwave to defrost quickly. That way I could have a sweet treat any time I wanted one without having to make up a batch every other day or so. I think you’ll find these delectable muffins completely satisfying.
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins are a wonderful treat when you want something sweet, but not loaded with sugar or flour.
These muffins are sweetened by raw honey, overripe bananas and blueberries. Overripe bananas work better than regular bananas for this recipe because they’ll add more natural sweetener.
I loved these delicious clean-eating breakfast muffins.
Here’s a look at the texture of the muffins.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Mash bananas. Add honey, melted butter, egg, salt, vanilla, baking powder and half and half cream.
Whisk ingredients to combine. Don’t worry if there are lumps from the bananas.
Add gluten free flour and blueberries.
Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Grease muffin tins generously. Spoon batter into muffin tins until almost to the top.
Bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I froze a couple of batches of Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins and then warmed them up in the microwave later.
These are great for holiday breakfasts, especially if you have family members on special diets.
Every bite of Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins is delightful.
Here’s the recipe.
HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
(My own concoction)
- 2 1/2 cups [url href=”http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/” target=”_blank”]Pamela’s[/url] gluten free baking and pancake mix or gluten free Artisan bread flour
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1 ½ tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup half-and-half, cream or milk
- 2 cups blueberries, divided use
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Melt butter.
- Add honey, baking powder, salt, bananas, egg, vanilla and milk in a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
- It’s okay to leave some of the lumps from the bananas.
- Add flour and 1 cup of blueberries.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spray 10 large muffin tins or 14 regular muffin tins with gluten free cooking spray.
- Spoon batter evenly into each muffin tin almost to the top.
- Sprinkle additional blueberries over top of batter. (I added about 8-10 blueberries on top of each muffin).
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
- Adjust temperature to 350°.
- Continue baking an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Yield: 10 extra large muffins or about 14-16 regular sized muffins.
Loads of plump fresh blueberries flavor these tasty muffins.
While sugar would make these a little sweeter, we found them wonderful just the way they were.
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins can be whipped up in no time.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $15.45Was: $15.99
Price: $12.95Was: $31.00