Gluten Free Living – 2016
Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins are absolutely mouthwatering! They combine the best of healthy with the best of flavor and texture! They’re filled with a ton of blackberries, bananas and pecans. The texture is light and fluffy–just what you want in muffins.
I have made these muffins many, many times trying to get the correct texture, allowing for the muffins to raise enough and yet not be tough. Working with gluten free flour is a real adventure. Certainly all gluten free flours are NOT equal! Cup4Cup is probably one of the better gluten free flours on the market these days. The flavor is good and you don’t have to add extra flour to make up for the deficiency in texture versus wheat flour.
I originally tried to make these muffins with honey. However, that makes the muffins too heavy so they sink too much in the middle. This time I used a coconut sugar which worked perfectly. So as a result of reducing the flour back to the original amount (1 1/2 cups) and substituting coconut sugar for the honey, the muffins turned out fabulously. I drooled over every bite.
Blackberries are such a delicious fruit and they’re perfect in a batch of Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins! These lovely muffins are made with coconut sugar instead of cane sugar, gluten free flour instead of regular all-purpose flour, overripe bananas, pecans, loads of blackberries and other wholesome ingredients. While these muffins are not dairy free, they are super delicious. I will tell you they work the best with overripe bananas to get as much natural sweetness as possible.
I made these muffins back in early March before we moved out of our rental house and into our new home. I was looking for healthier alternatives for my sweet tooth, so I made muffins with chocolate chips, blueberries, strawberry/banana and mango along with blackberries. Then after baking, I stocked the muffins in my freezer so I could pull them out one at a time (and not eat them all at once!) So in case you’re needing a recipe for a holiday breakfast and don’t have time to bake everything all at once, these muffins freeze very well.
If you’re looking for a healthy recipe to satisfy your sugar cravings, Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins are a great option. They’re quick, easy and delicious.
When I initially posted this recipe in April 2015 I was not totally in love with the results. The muffins were a little heavier and tougher than I would have liked. I recently remade this recipe (March 2018) and this time the muffins turned out incredibly delicious. I’ve updated the recipe ingredients and hope to update the pictures by April 2018. Enjoy.
Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins are scrumptious.
These make an excellent choice for holiday breakfasts.
If you enjoy blackberries, you’ll love these muffins.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. I substituted Cup4Cup gluten free flour for the Pamela’s. I used coconut sugar instead of honey, and 2% milk instead of half-and-half.
Melt butter in mixing bowl. Add egg, coconut sugar, mashed bananas, vanilla, salt, baking powder and milk.
Whisk until incorporated. It’s okay to leave banana clumps.
Add gluten free flour, blackberries and diced pecans.
Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined.
Grease muffin cups. Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle diced pecans on top and pat them into the batter slightly. If desired, add additional blackberries on top.
Bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins are a clean-eating recipe that’s delectable.
Every bite of these muffins will have you drooling.
Here’s the recipe.
HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE BLACKBERRY MUFFINS
(My own concoction)
- 2 1/2 cups[url href=”http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/” target=”_blank”]Pamela’s[/url]gluten free baking and pancake mix
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (1 stick) Land O’ Lakes unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup half-and-half, cream or milk
- 12-oz. container blackberries
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans, divided use
- Grease 12 extra large muffin tins with coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Melt butter.
- Add honey, baking powder, salt, bananas, egg, vanilla and half-and-half in a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
- It’s okay to leave some of the lumps from the bananas.
- Add flour, blackberries and 1 cup pecans.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into each muffin tin.
- Sprinkle remaining pecans over top of muffins.
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
- Adjust temperature to 350°.
- Continue baking an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Yield: 12 extra large muffins or about 14-16 regular sized muffins.
Healthy Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins are a great alternative to high calorie, sugar sweetened and frosted muffins. (Not that those muffins don’t have their place.) 🙂
This is a wonderful way to use blackberries.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $10.00Was: $15.99