Burrito Bake is one of our favorite Tex-Mex recipes! Seriously, this recipe is sooooo easy and sooooo good. 🙂 I love reading through the Taste of Home cookbooks. My bookcases are lined with them. I used to have two waist-high bookshelves in our kitchen – filled with Taste of Home cookbooks!
This is one of the great recipes I discovered in their Ground Beef Cookbook quite some time ago. It’s pretty easy, too. You use crescent roll dough for the crust and topping. The inside has a ground beef, refried beans, and taco seasoning mixture topped with a massive amount of mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
After baking you garnish the Burrito Bake with sliced lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, and chopped green pepper. Then you serve this dish with Homemade Chunky Guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo, sour cream, and tortilla chips. It is SO wonderful!
This fabulous Tex-Mex recipe is a real crowd-pleaser too. Everyone we have made Burrito Bake for has loved this dish. It’s a really tasty dish to serve for company, to watch football games, or when you have a houseful for special occasions.
If you’re in a pinch and need to make something really quick and easy, you can purchase pre-chopped tomatoes, peppers, and sliced lettuce at the grocery store as well as the other accompaniments so you don’t have to make them from scratch–although homemade sure tastes better!
If you’re looking for a superb casserole that tastes like eating burritos, then consider this amazing dish. You won’t be sorry. I remade this dish (May 2013) since I first published this recipe last June. It is one of my most pinned recipes! You’ll understand why once you sample it! 🙂
This sumptuous entree is featured at All Free Casserole Recipes here.
Burrito Bake is a wonderful and tasty meal your whole family will enjoy.
Here’s a serving of Burrito Bake. Doesn’t it look sumptuous? It really is a very appetizing dish. Serve Burrito Bake accompanied with tortilla chips, salsa, hot sauce, guacamole or pico de gallo, and sour cream.
If you enjoy Tex-Mex dishes, you will love this great main dish recipe. I’ve placed rows of shredded lettuce, sliced olives, and chopped tomatoes and green pepper on top of Burrito Bake after baking it.
Here’s what I did.
Brown ground beef. Drain, if necessary. I usually use 93 or 97% lean which rarely has enough grease to have to drain off. Add diced onions.
Add a can of refried beans.
Add a packet of taco seasoning or make Homemade Taco Seasoning.
Remove from heat. Stir to combine.
Spray the bottom of a 9×13″ casserole dish with cooking spray. Press one can of crescent roll together trying to make sure the seams stick together. Place on the bottom of the casserole dish stretching to make the crescent roll dough fit.
Spread with the ground beef-refried beans mixture.
Spread an 8-oz. bag of mozzarella cheese evenly over the beef mixture.
Spread an 8-oz. bag of sharp cheddar cheese over top of the mozzarella layer.
Roll out remaining can of crescent roll dough. Press seams to adhere. Spread out over top of cheese. Bake 30 minutes at 350, COVERED!
Remove casserole from oven and uncover foil. Bake another 15 minutes at 350 so the crust becomes golden brown.
Now the casserole is ready for it’s toppings. Top Burrito Bake with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and green peppers, and sliced ripe olives.
Here’s the interior of the casserole.
Taco Bake is a sensational Tex-Mex entree for company especially if you like a little heat in your recipes.
Burrito Bake is a great way to use up garden produce like fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and green peppers! Serve shredded lettuce, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes and chopped green pepper on top of the casserole and on the side in case your guests or family want a little more!
Here’s the recipe.
(Recipe adapted from Taste of Home’s Ground Beef Cookbook)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 16-oz. can refried beans
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 envelope taco seasoning or [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/09/03/homemade-taco-seasoning/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade taco seasoning”]Homemade Taco Seasoning[/url]
- 2 tubes (8-oz.) [url href=”http://www.pillsbury.com/” target=”_blank” title=”pillsbury”]Pillsbury[/url] refrigerated crescent rolls
- 8-oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 8-oz. shredded mozzarella cheese[br]
- Chopped green pepper
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced ripe olives[br]
- Pico de Gayo
- [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/04/28/chunky-homemade-guacamole/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade guacamole”]Guacamole[/url]
- [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2014/04/17/hot-sauce/” target=”_blank” title=”hot sauce”]Hot Sauce[/url]
- Sour cream
- [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/08/24/chunky-homemade-salsa/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade salsa”]Salsa[/url]
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the onion and sauté a couple of minutes to cook.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in taco seasoning and refried beans.
- Unroll one can of crescent roll dough.
- Press onto bottom of a greased 9×13” baking pan; seal seams and perforations.
- Spread meat mixture over crust; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, then cheddar cheese.
- Unroll remaining can of crescent roll dough.
- Stretch and press to make it fit top for a crust.
- Place on top of cheeses.
- Bake, covered, for about 30 minutes at 350°.
- Remove lid or foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle each of the four toppings in rows over top of crust.
- (Or serve on the side if preferred).
- Serve with pico de gayo, [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/08/24/chunky-homemade-salsa/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade salsa”]salsa[/url], [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2014/04/17/hot-sauce/” target=”_blank” title=”hot sauce”]hot sauce[/url], [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/04/28/chunky-homemade-guacamole/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade guacamole”]guacamole[/url], and sour cream on the side.
Burrito Bake is great served with Chunky Homemade Guacamole. This gorgeous dish is quite festive and a great casserole to serve for entertaining.
Burrito Bake has a wonderfully seasoned beef, refried bean, cheesy, taco-seasoned flavor that’s spectacular.
Are you ready to sit down to a bite of this luscious casserole? Your company will love this great recipe.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!