Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are terrific. These luscious muffins are filled with lovely fresh peaches, lots of lemon juice and zest, and poppy seeds. Then they’re iced with a lemon icing. These muffins have a lot going for them and are a great holiday breakfast or whenever you want the taste of a good muffin. (I enjoy muffins for dessert!)
I was trying to use up boatloads of fresh peaches in mid July when our peach trees were ready for harvest. I ended up baking a lot of cookies, muffins and cakes before I finally had to stop and start packing. We sold our house and moved into a rental home while our new house is being built. I actually never got to use up all of our peaches because we had too much else going on.
Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins have awesome flavor. Peaches, lemon and poppyseeds make up most of the flavor in these muffins. I made these with Greek yogurt, but Icelandic yogurt will work just as well. The lovely lemon icing puts these muffins over the top! If you enjoy peaches, the delicious taste of these muffins is all you could ask for.
Give them a try the next time you’re hankering for a sweet bread or muffin for breakfast. Ummmmmm.
I initially posted this recipe in September 2015. At that time, I added cinnamon to the batter and the icing. I thought afterwards, maybe it had too much going on in the recipe. I remade the recipe in June 2020. This time I decided to leave off the cinnamon and just flavor the muffins with lemon, peaches and poppyseeds. I actually enjoyed the recipe a lot more. My sister-in-law sampled one and she loved it.
Toning the recipe down by omitting the cinnamon made the lemon and peach flavors pop. The muffins were spectacular this way.
Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are a wonderful way to eat peaches!
These are fantastic with the lemony icing on top.
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a scrumptious treat for breakfast or dessert!
Every bite of Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins is fantastic.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffin batter.
Soften butter. Add sugar, sour cream, eggs, poppy seeds and lemon zest and buttermilk.
Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, peaches and lemon juice.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour.
Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Spoon batter into muffin tins almost to the top.
Bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Once muffins are cool, remove to wire racks.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Place powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Add lemon zest and vanilla.
Add lemon juice and half-and-half.
Stir all the ingredients with a whisk until smooth.
Drizzle icing over top of cooled muffins.
Allow icing to set about 15 minutes before serving.
Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are full of flavor!
These muffins are great for a holiday breakfast. If you can’t locate fresh peaches, try using canned or frozen peaches.
Every mouthful will have you drooling!
Here’s the recipe.
PEACHY LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFINS
(My own concoction)
- [b]MUFFIN BATTER:[/b][br]
- 2 ½ cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (this is approximately the juice of one medium to large lemon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (preferred, I used salted butter because that was all I had on hand)
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 2 cups diced, peeled peaches[br]
- [b]CINNAMON GLAZE:[/b]
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, Greek yogurt, buttermilk or sour milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and poppy seeds with an electric mixer.
- Slowly stir in flour and peaches, just until moistened. Grease or spray muffin tins.
- Fill muffin tins to the top or even slightly mound over the top.
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and bake about 15-20 minutes longer, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool. [br]
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until you have a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Drizzle icing over muffins.
Each bite is filled with lots of lemon and peaches.
Serve Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins for your next country breakfast or special occasion brunch.
We loved the way these delicious muffins turned out!
If you enjoy peaches, you’ll love Peachy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins! 🙂