Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are filled with lovely fresh peaches, lots of lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, poppy seeds, vanilla and Greek yogurt, then they’re iced with a lemon-cinnamon icing. These muffins have a lot going for them and are a great holiday breakfast or whenever you want the taste of a good muffin. (I enjoy muffins for dessert!)
I was trying to use up boatloads of fresh peaches in mid July when our peach trees were ready for harvest so I ended up baking a lot of cookies, muffins and cakes before I finally had to stop and start packing. We sold our house and moved into a rental home while our new house is being built, so I never actually got to use up all of our peaches because we had too much else going on.
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins have a LOT of different flavors. Peaches, lemon and cinnamon make up most of the flavor in these muffins. However, if you don’t like muffins with competing flavors than I recommend omitting either the cinnamon or the lemon. While I enjoyed both flavors working together, others may not, and you may find having just the lemon with the peaches or just the cinnamon with the peaches is all you need for delicious muffin taste.
Whatever you decide, you will love the lemony-cinnamon icing which sweetens these muffins up so they are incredibly delicious. Give them a try the next time you’re hankering for a sweet bread or muffin for breakfast. Ummmmmm.
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a wonderful way to eat peaches!
For additional flavor you can add cinnamon chips on top, if you desire. 🙂
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a scrumptious treat for breakfast or dessert!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffin batter.
Soften butter. Add sugar, sour cream, eggs, cinnamon, poppy seeds and lemon juice.
Add buttermilk or soured milk, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour and peaches.
Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Spoon batter into muffin tins to the top.
Bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Once muffins are cool, remove to wire racks.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Stir all the ingredients with a whisk until smooth.
Drizzle icing over top of cooled muffins.
Allow icing to set about 15 minutes before serving.
Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are full of flavor!
These muffins are great for a holiday breakfast.
Here’s the recipe.
PEACHY LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
(My own concoction)
- [b]MUFFIN BATTER:[/b][br]
- 2 ½ cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (this is approximately the juice of one medium to large lemon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (preferred, I used salted butter because that was all I had on hand)
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 2 cups diced, peeled peaches[br]
- [b]CINNAMON GLAZE:[/b]
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, Greek yogurt, buttermilk or sour milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and poppy seeds with an electric mixer.
- Slowly stir in flour and peaches, just until moistened. Grease or spray muffin tins.
- Fill muffin tins to the top or even slightly mound over the top.
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and bake about 15-20 minutes longer, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool. [br]
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until you have a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Drizzle icing over muffins.
Each bite is filled with lots of lemon and cinnamon.
Serve Peachy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins for your next country breakfast or special occasion brunch.