Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Gluten Free Living – 2022
These Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are just awesome. Really. For those of you who prefer or need to eat gluten free, what a way to get an enjoyable breakfast muffin! These muffins have crunch from the walnuts, spice from the cinnamon and nutmeg, great texture thanks to the bananas and of course, chocolaty deliciousness from all the chocolate chips. I used Bob’s Red Mill Baking flour (gluten free) and it worked perfectly for this recipe.
Back in May, one of the young gals in our church had her first baby. She asked for gluten free meals. I took one of my favorite Banana Muffin recipes and decided to sub out gluten free flour for the regular. I made NO other adjustments. These muffins turned out wonderfully. They puffed up nice and big and had a delectable taste and texture. Even my husband didn’t realize he was eating a gluten free muffin when I handed him one.
I ended up making them a Gluten Free Pot Roast, Creamy Sweet Corn, a Gluten Free Strawberry Cobbler and these wonderful muffins for breakfast. I told them they would freeze wonderfully if they didn’t want all of them at once! 🙂 They told me later they enjoyed that meal for three days!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are wonderful for weekend breakfasts, company or even holiday breakfasts. Especially if you have friends or family with gluten intolerance. If not, just use regular flour. That works too. 🙂 Regardless, you will enjoy every bite of these drool-worthy muffins. Prepare to swoon!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are awesome!
These muffins are fantastic for weekend, company or holiday breakfasts.
These muffins actually freeze well so you can make them up in advance if you need to and then thaw before using.
One of the reasons my muffins puff up and have nice tops (that don’t sink in the middle) is because I start with a high temperature (425 degrees) for five minutes. Then I reduce the heat to 350 for the remainder of the baking time. That allows the muffins to lift and then the lower temperature sets the muffins so they hold their shape.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place ripe or overripe bananas on a plate and mash with a fork. Transfer bananas to a mixing bowl.
Add egg, plain Greek yogurt or Icelandic yogurt, and canola oil.
Whisk ingredients until smooth.
Add brown sugar and vanilla.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Whisk again. Remove whisk.
Add Gluten Free Flour, chopped walnuts and miniature chocolate chips.
Stir ingredients gently and just until moistened. Do NOT overmix or overbeat or the muffins will be tough.
Grease muffin tins or line with paper liners and spray the liners with cooking spray. Spoon the muffin batter into the liners almost to the top.
Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Eat and enjoy!
These chocolaty, banana muffins are spectacular!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins will be enjoyed by all – even if you don’t have Celiac disease or have gluten intolerance.
Our friends loved the way these muffins turned out.
Here’s the recipe.
GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS
(My own concoction)
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 12-tin regular muffin pan
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 nut chopper if nuts are not previously chopped
- muffin liners
- 1 plate and fork to mash bananas
- 3 large overripe bananas about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup plain Icelandic yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil or use coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Baking GF flour)
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnut halves coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper or foil liners and spray each liner with cooking spray.
- Place bananas on a plate and mash with a fork; transfer mashed bananas to a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, yogurt and canola oil and whisk to combine.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla and whisk again.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk again.
- Gently stir in flour, miniature chocolate chips and walnuts until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins or muffin liners.
- Fill each muffin tin almost to the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Reduce temperature to 350° and continue baking an additional 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are great for week-day breakfasts, too.
We really enjoyed how these gluten free muffins turned out.
Make these muffins even healthier by using avocado oil or coconut oil in the batter.
Bananas and chocolate work so well together. Give these muffins a try and you’ll see what I mean.