Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is so tasty. I really liked this creamy soup. It’s highly flavored with lots of different spices and has a thick, creamy texture because it’s pureed with a blender. It’s fairly easy to make so you can have a nice, tasty meal ready in an hour if you boil the squash or about an hour and a half if you bake it first.
I tried lots of different garnishes: cracked black pepper plus basil, cracked black pepper and parsley, and plain cinnamon. But my favorite garnish was a slice of lime with a heavy dose of cinnamon. It made this soup absolutely scrumptious. If you are looking for an easy soup recipe and you like spicy flavors this one is a great one to try out.
When I originally posted this recipe in November 2012, the pictures were of really poor quality since I was using an iPhone 3 for a camera. I recently remade this recipe (September 2016) for lunch with a friend.
But this time I did a real makeover from the original recipe. It still has a lot of spices and you can increase them if you desire. I added apples, cinnamon and leeks to provide a full-bodied flavor. Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is a delightful soup. I hope you give it a try. For those of you who really liked the original version, I’ve kept it at the bottom of the recipe card below.
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is one delicious soup. I served mine with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
It’s also good with a few drops of lime juice.
Doesn’t Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup look wonderful? Add a hot roll or oyster crackers and this soup is something special.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Cut the tops off a bulb of garlic and roast at 350 about 30 minutes in oven or toaster oven. Remove from oven and peel garlic skin from garlic. Set garlic aside.
Place coconut oil in sauce pan. Add onions and leeks. Cook about 3 minutes.
I really like working with coconut oil. It doesn’t become unstable at high temperatures like most oils do. For those of you who have never cooked with coconut oil, it does not make whatever you are making taste like coconut. It reminds me of using lard which I haven’t done since the 70s. Coconut oil is a very healthy oil to cook with even though it is saturated. Melt coconut oil in large saucepan. Add onions.
Add apples, ginger and spices. Cook one minute.
Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer covered, 10 minutes.
Add baked butternut squash, roasted garlic and lime juice. Heat through about 15-20 minutes.
With an immersion blender, puree ingredients until smooth.
Consider these garnishes: cracked black pepper, basil, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and parsley.
Here’s a serving of this spicy soup.
Here’s the recipe.
SPICY VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 2-3 lb. butternut squash, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, roasted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. red chili flakes
- 32-oz. vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of half a lime
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cracked black pepper, parsley, cayenne pepper, and oyster crackers for garnish
- Either roast squash in 400° oven for about 45-60 minutes, or peel and cut and boil 15-20 minutes until done.
- Reserve water to use for vegetable broth.
- Dice the onion.
- Add coconut oil to the pan. When hot, add onion.
- Stir to coat, then cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes until onion starts to look translucent.
- Add ginger and spices.
- Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock (or water squash has cooked in) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes.
- Add a bit more broth if needed.
- Add lime juice.
- Puree using a stick blender or carefully in batches using a blender.
- Thin with milk (dairy or non-dairy) if desired.
- If you have a light-colored plastic immersion blender, wash it immediately to prevent the turmeric from staining.
- Serve topped with cracked black pepper and a garnish of cilantro or basil if desired.
Here’s a look at the finished product, although I would garnish it with dried parsley, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
If you like spicy soups, Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is fantastic.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon