2013 – Gluten Free Living
Several years ago I was involved in Bible Study Fellowship and at the close of the semester we went to Marjorie Kraft’s home in DeSoto where she served this amazing Nieman-Marcus dish with us from the Nieman-Marcus cookbook. To say this recipe was fantastic is an understatement. It was spectacular! I have made it several times since and every time I get rave reviews. I made this for a baby shower a couple of weeks ago and everyone went back for more! Spinach Artichoke Casserole Dip combines the wonderful flavors of spinach, artichokes, pimientos, bacon, parmesan cheese and sour cream along with some spices into a very delicious comfort food. Serve with the crackers or dippers of your choice and you have a very filling and satisfying dip.
Truthfully, the recipe is actually a casserole you can eat as a side dish although we always serve it as a dip. The only improvement I would make to this recipe is to include 8-oz. fresh, sliced mushrooms when you’re sauteeing the onions. I think that would make this dip beyond spectacular! You can purchase copies of the Neiman-Marcus cookbook on Amazon. This recipe is adapted from an older cookbook Marjorie had. If you are looking for a fabulous Spinach Artichoke Casserole (or dip) then try out this excellent recipe.
This casserole is so hearty you can actually serve it as a meal by itself for Meatless Mondays or for a lunch menu main course. It’s that good. We think this Spinach Artichoke Casserole Dip recipe is heavenly and believe you will too once you experience the wonderful flavors of this great casserole (dip).
Although this is a gluten free recipe, I make no pretense that it is low in calories! It has bacon, lots of cheese, sour cream and artichokes all of which have a lot of calories, but this is a great dip to take to football parties, potlucks–even baby showers! Just don’t consume the whole casserole dish in one sitting.
When I first published this recipe in March 2013 it was right before I purchased my new Canon camera, so I was still taking pictures with an iPhone. The pictures weren’t as clear as I would have liked so I recently remade this recipe (September 2015), so I could get better pictures. It seems like each time I’ve made this scrumptious recipe it’s been for a baby shower. Each time the bowl was cleaned out pretty quickly. Everyone loves this dip and, because it’s so hearty and filling, I highly recommend it as a guy appetizer for tailgating parties. Most of them love this with all the bacon, cheese and other savory ingredients. The dip is gluten free. To keep this appetizer gluten free, serve Spinach Artichoke Casserole Dip with gluten free crackers or potato chips. Enjoy.
Spinach Artichoke Casserole Dip is one fantastic recipe.
This recipe is spectacular. If you like spinach and artichokes you will love this dip. Here I am serving it on a cracker.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Fry bacon in a skillet. Remove to paper towels to drain.
To bacon grease in skillet, saute onions until tender about 5 minutes.
Microwave each box or bag of spinach on high for about 5 minutes. Cool slightly or you will get scalded! Place spinach in colander and press out all the excess moisture with your hands or the back of a large spoon. Be careful, the spinach is steamy hot. After you’ve squeezed all the excess moisture out of the spinach, place the spinach in a large mixing bowl.
Break up bacon into tiny pieces and add part of the bacon to the spinach in mixing bowl with salt, pepper, nutmeg, sour cream, part of the parmesan cheese, pimientos, drained artichoke hearts, cooked onions (and mushrooms if you desire them), and melted butter.
Mix thoroughly to combine. Place in a greased 9×13″ glass baking dish.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese and bacon pieces over top. At this point I covered the dish and refrigerated overnight. I baked it the next day at church for a baby shower we were having. After baking about 30 minutes, add remaining cheese and bake 5-10 minutes longer.
Bake 30-40 minutes or until done.
I served mine over potato chips so I could still have a gluten free snack.
This marvelous Spinach Artichoke Casserole Dip is superb over crackers, pita bread crackers or bagel chips.
Here’s the recipe.
SPINACH ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE (DIP)
(Recipe adapted from Marjorie Kraft, Bible Study Fellowship, DeSoto, TX; source: adapted from Neiman-Marcus Cookbook)
- 3 10-oz. boxes or 12-oz. bags chopped spinach
- 5-6 thick strips bacon, crisp-fried and broken into bite-sized pieces (reserve two pieces for top of casserole)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 14-oz. cans quartered artichokes, drained
- 3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided (not the stuff in a can)
- 1 pt. sour cream
- 4-oz. jar diced pimientos, drained
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9x13” glass baking dish. (Or spray with cooking spray).
- Microwave spinach according to package directions.
- Drain, squeeze out any excess water.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve drippings and sauté onions in drippings until translucent.
- Remove onion from skillet, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add spinach, 4 pieces of bacon broken into tiny pieces, melted butter, artichokes, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, sour cream, pimientos, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 1 more cup Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Sprinkle remaining two pieces of bacon broken up into tiny pieces over top of cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350° until top is golden.
- Add remaining 1 cup of parmesan cheese and bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with crackers, chips or other dippers.
To keep this appetizer gluten free, serve with gluten free crackers, corn tortilla chips or potato chips.
Are you drooling yet?
This recipe is great for tailgate parties, football parties and the like. Guys love the heartiness of this great recipe.
Neiman Marcus’s recipe for Spinach Artichoke Casserole (Dip) is spectacular. You should try it sometime.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!